Matrox Announces DS-1 Thunderbolt Docking Station for $249

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 3, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matrox has announced a new Thunderbolt docking station for MacBooks and Ultrabooks.
    At a proposed price of $249, the Matrox DS-1 comes in cheaper than Belkin's $299 solution that is due this fall. Matrox's unit lacks a couple of ports (additional Thunderbolt, and Firewire) that are found on Belkin's dock. The DS-1 comes with DVI, Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.0, (2) USB 2.0, Audio Output, Audio Input, and Power connectors:

[​IMG]

The Matrox does carry a high speed USB 3.0 port that is absent on Belkin's unit. The addition of that port may make the dock more appealing to PC/Ultrabook customers. It's not clear, however, from Matrox's site if the USB 3.0 port is functional on a Mac. (*Update)

In the past, USB 3.0 support on the Mac has required the installation of 3rd party drivers. These drivers are generally provided by the hardware manufacturer.

Apple has been rumored to be including USB 3.0 support in their next generation MacBook Pros which are due this summer. If that does come to pass, the USB 3.0 port on Matrox's dock may work with Apple's own bundled USB 3.0 drivers.

The Matrox DS-1 Thunderbolt docking station will be available worldwide in September for $249.

Update: Matrox has informed us that MacBooks will be able to take advantage of the USB 3.0 port.

Article Link: Matrox Announces DS-1 Thunderbolt Docking Station for $249

2. macrumors 6502

fox10078

Wish it had another TB port on it. Guess it'll be the end of the chain.

3. macrumors newbie

magnus55

249 € and this thing is as ugly as possible? Well, at least it got TWO ridiculously large Matrox logos.

4. macrumors 68000

Hastings101

Nice looking product, a little pricey though and doesn't really offer that many ports. Only three USB? I'll pass

I'm still waiting for those external graphics cards. Something like that with a Mac Mini or Macbook Air would be so awesome.

5. macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

Great product! :) I could really use one of these, been thinking about upgrading my Air to the upcoming model.

Insane price :( 249 for a dock is just not reasonable... For that money I'll plug a few more cables by hand.

6. macrumors 68000

This says it supports HDMI, but I'm not seeing an HDMI port on there. Do you need to convert from DVI or HDMI? That would be silly.

7. macrumors member

that's exactly what I thought!
    How come everything TB is so expensive? Licensing fees? Or the low volume?

8. macrumors 6502

88 King

What is the point of getting this device? $250 + $50 cable to get the advantage of 1 USB 3 over the current mac models.

When Apple update their machines with USB 3, this product will be nothing but an expensive paper weight.

9. macrumors 68000

10. macrumors 65816

11. macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Why include a DVI out port instead of a MiniDP, an HDMI, or another Thunderbolt port?

12. macrumors 65816

east85

I'd say maybe a combination, but for sure low volume plays a role. It's a new technology and TB is kind of just starting to circulate more and more. The demand is not quite there, give it some time.

13. macrumors regular

still cheaper than buying a new mac :rolleyes:

14. macrumors member

probably. i would have like either an HDMI or another DVI port on there or mini DP (or all 3). i'm all about dual monitors with my macbook. it certainly has the space.

15. pmz
    macrumors 68000

16. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Belkin is superior IMO.

Firewire
    Thunderbolt Pass Through
    Better looks

I like the USB 3.0 but if TB peripherals come down in price i'd rather get the extra speed.

17. macrumors member

Well it looks good but I wouldn't buy it for that price. $80 to $120 and then we will see ;)

18. macrumors member

Strange

I'm not sure I get the appeal for this product.
    You can simply:

- get a USB hub if you wanted more ports
    - use a dongle for DVI
    - use a dongle for ethernet

All will cost less than $249. If it had another thunderbolt and firewire it would make sense, but without it, I don't get it.

Leo

19. macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

No firewire in either flavor,
    No HDMI,
    Only 3 USB ports,
    and why have the TB port on the front and everything else on the back?

Think I'll pass...

20. macrumors 6502

88 King

DVI don't carry audio like HDMI, so you will need another cable for sound. Like you said silly.

21. macrumors 6502a

I hope these come under $100 soon, as someone who is almost always docked on my large monitor this would be a great replacement to my bunch of cables.

22. macrumors 6502a

Mr Fusion

23. macrumors 68000

angemon89

I can't wait to see what's coming in the future thanks to thunderbolt. This is a good start though.

24. macrumors 6502a

Also wouldn't work - no audio across DVI, and HDMI carries audio.

25. macrumors member

Remember when Monster was selling HDMI cables for $100? :rolleyes: