Matrox intros DualHead2Go Digital Edition

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 8, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    It's interesting that it goes from 1x VGA to 2x DVI. Although I don't know the technicalities of breaking down a DVI signal, and certainly one that is laced with HDCP will be a forgedaboudit. :eek:

This comes up on the forum periodically with people who want to drive external monitors from a Mini, or occasionally from a notebook... but does anyone here actually own one of the earlier models of this?
  3. macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Dec 12, 2002
    It does it that way because it is *MUCH* easier to digitize the analog signal than to break up the digital signal, as I imagine you were implying. I'd like to know how many video cards analog ports support 3840x1200, though... (Since the older versions of this device present as a single monitor, then it handles splitting the signal to go to two monitors.)

I'd just rather see one that takes a dual-link DVI connection and splits it into two single DVI connections, while still presenting as a single monitor to the video card. (Since some video cards won't officially allow two monitors from one connection, even if it is dual-link.) This would limit the market somewhat (MacBook Pros, and the last model of 15/17" PowerBook would be the only Mac that would support it, other than pro desktops. Although... Imagine plugging THIRTEEN 23" Cinema Displays into a single Mac Pro!!! Twelve as a four-by-three grid, plus one 'master' screen.)
  4. macrumors G3

Apr 30, 2004
    do you not think calling it "Digital Edition" is a bit stupid if it's still VGA (even if only to a certain extent)?
  5. macrumors member

Dec 5, 2006
    *sigh*..... I pity you and your small displays. 13 23" ACDs is nothing. You want big? Let me give you big:

Imagine 13 projectors. PROJECTORS. ok? does that enlarge the possibilities? 13 projectors, on 1 GIGANTIC wall = nirvana. Oh, and the advantages of using projectors: no bezels. You read that right: no bezels. Relatively easy to coordinate the displays so that you get a TRUE ultra-big screen, unlike those puny 105"ers that they sell at your local retail store.

Now.... where to find such a big wall? :p