Mature rating?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I had this thought last night. And its all to do with the American rating system and how people use it in everyday talk.

If a game is mature what does it mean? that its violent. yes?

if a gamer is mature what does it mean? that the player does not give a crap WHAT a game is, so long as he/she is entertained.
    Maybe its just my opinion but thats what i came up with.

Its like when i was in college... i stopped trying to follow the crowd, i got my own fashion styling, i liked my own music. i didn't really care what anyone else thought of me or my style at this time. i look back and i say i matured here. I stopped being what other people wanted me to be, putting my foot down so to speak.

Maturity is where you can go out and not get embarrassed because you are comfortable in what you are, or have become. a mature person can easily do something that nobody else would do because they would seem less 'cool', less socially acceptable.

Thinking to games, why on earth would a game where you kill people be classed as mature? isn't that more like immature?

On a personal note, there are a few game making forums that specialize in the application and language i use... one of them is abbreviated to KM, and they're touted as the 'mature' forum. but its just full of people flaming each other and arguing all the time. if you post your game or preview or anything there they will shoot it down with nothing but negative comments no matter what, whereas other sites will praise it, so long as it deserves it.

Mature is the wrong word to use. A mature gamer wouldn't mind playing Barbie. He has the mind-frame to make his/her own mind up. right?

what does 'mature' mean to you?

please ignore this if its crap :D

2. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i think the problem with the US (PEGI right ?) age restriction is that it is confusing

those age restriction aren't there to say how difficult a game is. they are there to say after which the content is save for (pretty much) everybody

for example command and conquer renegade and silent storm have the same rating (16+) still the latter is more difficult
    world of warcraft is 12+ is it now easier than command and conquer renegade or doom3 (18+)? or what about civilization 3 (6+ !!) ?

it's still "cool/hip" to play games before you can legally buy them for teenagers. that's what i find so comical about such discussions ... those who are screaming most for "mature games" are in fact _under_ 18

personally i have no problem playing 'no restriction'/6+/12+ games with other people just like i have no problems with firing up Steel Panthers, Close Combat or something else

a good parallel would be movies

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

The thing with the Mature rating is that it isn't meant as a difficulty, age, or philosophical scale. It was made to satisfy the angry parents and politicians looking for a good angle for election in order to label those violent games that supposedly inspire kids to bring a gun to school and go Evil Dead on everyone's posterior ends. They just used the word "mature" to denote to parents that the game has an element such as violence or gore that may or may not be suitable to their 12 or 13 year old child as opposed to their 17 or 18 year old child. The theory is that an older (i.e. mature) teenager is more able to see the violence in the game and realize that in real life it is not okay and that there are consequences involved than a younger (i.e. not yet mature) child is able to.

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

exactly and that's why the single greatest feature of the new xbox360,the age control mechanism, will get pass all the parents buying it for their kids...
    the controll mechanisms are in place they are just not used/enforced by parents and retail
    it's not that hard to ask somebody for an id card isn't it ?

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

You know, I have never once seen, heard, or experienced anyone being carded or asked for ID when buying a game. Even if it is a 13 year old without his parents around buying Mortal Kombat, I don't think anyone really pays attention. I know I never had someone ask me, but when I was younger we didn't have ratings in place. Of course, Mario never had gore, either.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

some places are trying to get the cashiers to card by forcing the birth date of the purchaser to be entered, most staff just enter whatever though without doing their job correctly.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's probably the same reasoning thats behind the fact that Alcohol is legal for all ages in Europe, yet we have a lot more drunk teenagers in the U.S. where it's not legal.

When it's illegal it becomes cool.

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

PBG5, this is true. Very true. My 11yr old brother bought TimeSplitters: Future Perfect a few days ago (and so far, I've spent about 5 times as long playing on it :p), and the guy said "this is a 15, so are you sure your mum would be OK with you buying this?". Not "where's your mum?", but "is your mum OK with it?". Stupid

9. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Slightly off-topic, but I would like to say that this argument is not right. Maybe teenagers do not drink because it's illegal in US. Maybe it became illegal AFTER being so popular to younger ages in the US. That makes a huge difference.

Anyway, as long as mature rating is concerned...

I really do not know what maturity in games concerns. Maturity is a relative term in my opinion. A game not intended for 6 year olds could be Civilization 3 because although it hasn't got any violent scenes in it, a 6-year old cannot fully understand it, and it may as well give the kid a wrong impression of how history has evolved throught the ages.

Of course I'm taking it a little bit too far...

But think it this way:
    For kids, who decide the games they play? Their parents. Well, if their parents want their kids to have a game rated for adults, they will let him-her have it. If not, then the kid will not have the game. So, there is absolutely no point in rating games. This business is strictly the parents' job and wether the game is rated Teen or Mature makes no difference to the player: If he wants to buy the game he-she will not think about maturity.

10. applekid macrumors 68020

There was a recent survey and only about 40% of parents actually use the ESRB rating system. I think it was posted on Engadget or Joystiq. But anyways, I'm more inclined to believe it's all political bullsh*t and something for the media to pounce on (the rating system that is). Nobody seems to actually use the ESRB ratings so who cares?

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Personally, I feel there's a huge gap in the ratings system.

To compare games to movies.
    E = G. The game must be clean of anything.
    T = PG. Even cartoon violence makes it rated T; see Super Smash Bros.
    M = R. Obvious parallel.
    AO = NC17.

Where's PG-13? It's between T and M. They overlap. The games that would be PG-13 end up being either T or being M. Look at Halo. How could Halo (violence, profanity) get the same rating as Grand Theft Auto (extreme violence, excessive profanity, drug use, drug references, illegal activities, sexual references)?

We need a rating in between T and M.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

they are afraid of confusing your average joe consumer even more than they already have. personally the whole rating system, for movies and games needs to be reworked in my opinion as they just dont work for the current types of movies and games that we have. but its not going to happen anytime soon, people get stuck in their ways.

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

with USK we have

no
    6+
    12+
    16+
    18+ (like gta2 ;) )

halo got a 16+ rating afaik... they are not as nitpicking as they used to be...heck they banned Activisions "River Raid" in germany 1983 ;) (and it just got, in the year 2005, off the "banned video games" list)
    pretty much every shooter gets exactly the 16+ rating nowadays .. they are throwing out less 18+ ratings than in the past but less 6+/12+ ratings as well

for games like resident evil 4, killer 7 it's pretty clear why they got a 18+ rating ;)

and i placed the two "!" after civ3 rating because i wouldn't have rated it that low.. i think it deserved the 12+ rating because of it's "raze the city" option alone

14. applekid macrumors 68020

I'm personally a fan of the USK system. It makes sense to me. I guess they could add ESRB's little text disclaimer box (the one's that say things like "Animated Violence" or "Blood and Gore", etc.), and you'd have a more functional system. And I do agree, with the current ESRB, there is such a large gap.

15. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I don't understand why they have use letters instead of just numbers. What's the point, really? Just add an age (12, 16, 18, etc.) and descriptions like you mentioned. Much simpler.