Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Stellar Phoenix Recovery for Windows (v6.0 I think), running on my XP, can scan the entire disk without interruption, it takes a little over 30 minutes I think.

Running a Windows disk repair utility on a Mac volume isn't a good idea. You're likely to corrupt the filesystem if it does any repairs.
Your last effort to repair the drive definitely indicates bad sectors on the drive. I'd see about getting it replaced if it's under warranty, or just recycle it if it's not. Continuing to try and use it won't do your data any favors.

B74A

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2008
Asia and Europe
Fixed!

I have now gotten the report from Ontrack data recovery. Two files of 224 MB are repaired, the rest of all the files, over 1.6TB, are all recoverable.

Price: 900 USD

The various attempts I did myself didn't work at all, I could hardly even connect to this drive. Now it is being moved onto another near-identical WD drive - which I purchased just before the old one crashed.

Hence I am going to get a completely different brand of HD, maybe even a thunderbolt capable hard drive, and as the first thing, move all files from the recovered drive, onto this new one. And I will use a pre-maverick Mac to do this, just to be safe.

Just saying, before you write off your seemingly bricked WD drive, there might be ways to get the data out.

----------

Putting the disk in another enclosure might help, but this all looks like your disk has failed. This is typical behavior of a disk with bad sectors and it happens with any operating system.

Nice try, but it is entirely a logical failure, and fully recoverable.

WD + Maverick seems a dangerous cocktail, although neither company will probably ever admit it.

B74A

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2008
Asia and Europe
So now I am looking for a 4TB Thunderbolt external hard drive (with USB 3.0 option, if possible).

Just to diversify myself away from WD, it seems even 4xRAID systems are hit by this "bug" or whatever it is.

Any suggestions?

klwright

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
WD passport not working on Mavericks 10.9.3

Hi. I am a pretty good with computers but I do need things explained in a simple manner as far as fixing this solution.

I updated my iMac and was unaware to disconnect my WD HD and now it doesn't show up. The only way I can get it to show up is to install the WD smart ware installer update every time I need to access my passport. That is rather annoying and sometimes it doesn't work and therefore I cannot access my files. I have copied everything I have on my HD to my desktop just incase I need to reformat my drive.

What is my solution? there has to be one seeing this HD is less than 4 years old. Its very frustrating because a HD should last a lot longer especially since its the software itself.

Please help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.