Mavericks installation

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Mike.Katz, Oct 24, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Oct 24, 2013
    An interesting "bug" occurred when installing Mavericks. My Administrator password was needed. However, I do not have an administrator password as I always leave this blank. It was never set up.

This time when prompted to enter the administrator password upon installation, and I left the field blank, it was not accepted.

It was only after I went back to settings and established a password, then started the installation again and entered the new password was I able to proceed!
  2. macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    It is not true that you did not have an Administrator password before. You had an Administrator password, but it was blank. This is a bad thing. This was permitted before. It appears that blank Administrator passwords are no longer permitted. This is a good thing.
  3. macrumors 6502

Nov 12, 2012
    True, I hate having to set up a password as I use automatic login and practice safe networking. A blank password causes all sorts of problems though.
  4. macrumors newbie

Nov 18, 2013
    hint is blank in administrator password

I just had a new OSX 10.9 installed on my Macbook Pro. When I try to download Adobe it asks for the administrator's password and the hint is blank. I have left it blank and typed in the word blank but it still does not work. I have read that you can change your password using your apple ID but when i go to User Groups the box that I need to tick cannot be ticked (it won't allow me to tick it). Any ideas?
  5. macrumors regular

Oct 23, 2013
    Blank password on an Admin user=bad idea.
    Not only is it not safe, they are correct.. it causes other problems.

You should always have a password..

When you go into the Users & Groups, the lock int he bottom left of the pane should be locked. click it and probably just hit enter to unlock and allow changes.
    you should be able to enter a new password now.