1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Mavericks on mid 2010 macbook pro?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by sam.walker22, Jun 14, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Wondering if anyone has installed mavericks on a 15 inch mid 2010 macbook pro (or similar?)

Hows the performance? I'm interested in the power efficient properties of mavericks, however if it's just going to slow me down a little bit (like lion did to snow leopard) then i'll probably just stick with mountain lion which is running fine for me at the moment.

2. macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I am and to be fair it's pretty quick. Scrolling on Safari is much better than in Mountain Lion. Only issue I've had so far is that Maps will not load.

Attached Files:

3. macrumors regular

denisvj

I have it installed on my MB Pro 2010 .

So far runs fine but haven't tested for a long period , I have been busy but going to play with it on weekend .

4. macrumors member

ToniqR

Hi, I too would be really interested in hearing how it will perform on a 2010 MBP. As nice as it is to buy a shiny new retina, I want to keep mine for as long as possible :)

5. macrumors 6502

works as good as ML if not better in my laptop from 2009 with ssd

6. macrumors member

I'll give it a go then! Thanks guys

7. macrumors 65816

w0lf

Works like a charm for me (mid 2010 macbook pro 13 inch).

8. macrumors newbie

I found the same maps wouldn't load, turns out the fault lies with the dynamic graphics switching

If you use gfx card status tool and set the graphics to either integrated or discreet graphics Maps loads, as soon as you switch it to dynamic graphics Maps fails to load.

Hope this helps

9. macrumors member

Yeh maps wont load for me either

10. macrumors newbie

Use gfx card status app to change to either discreet or integrated graphics and maps should load

11. macrumors 6502

hows battery life under "normal" usage on the 2010 (in both 10.9 and 10.8/10.7)?

12. macrumors member

slightly better than 10.8 i think, definitely no worse

13. macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

Since 10.8.3 nearly every program (like twitter, little snitch etc) force the dedicated graphic chip in the 2010 mbp model (making it run hot and loud). Any improvements seen with mavericks?

14. macrumors newbie

The latest update to 10.8 fixed that problem for most software on my 15" 2010 MBP.

15. macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Perfect, thanks for the solution.

16. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Is the detail level on the local maps exactly the same as on the iOS app?

17. macrumors 65816

I'm on 15" 2010 MBP. On Mavericks even Adium, Hardware Monitor, and HardwareGrowler are forcing discrete graphics...

18. macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

17" Mid 2010 MBP with NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512MB graphics and integrated Intel graphics. Mavericks runs great on it considering its a beta release. Slight improvement in battery life but nothing drastic. Maps loads with no problems and no need to switch modes in GFX Status. Aside from bombermine.com I'm not much of a gamer so I can't comment on that.

19. macrumors 6502

bolen

Hardware installation support wise Mavericks currently supports all configurations currently supported by Mountain Lion.

Performance wise my current impression (running a 2011 MBP) is that Mavericks is noticeably more responsive and smooth compared to Mountain Lion. I'm really looking forward to the final Mavericks version!

20. macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Seems to be. My house is in 3D on both and Birmingham looks exactly the same.

21. macrumors newbie

running it on a Mid 2011 MPB (and iMac also Mid 2011) than runs Mavericks real well *BUT* I ran into a bug when doing quick preview on say, a folder full of pics/videos- when selecting all and viewing each file (using up and down arrow)
    it starts to hang on the video files and bog the system down. . .

and on my iMac (not MBP) my iMovie faces and skin all look purple. . .

those are the only two issues I've seen w/Mavericks Developer Release #3 OS X 10.9 (13A510d) so far

The MacBook Pro battery lasts just as long as it did as Snow Leopard/Lion/ML
    real happy w/the performance- can't wait for final release! :D

22. macrumors 65816

Had Mavericks on my 15" mid MBP for almost a month... Battery life no change, since most of my apps requires discrete graphics. There are certain simple apps like Adium still triggers discrete graphics, making energy savers sort of nothing to brag about.

Yesterday I had a major problem with one of my third party app that required me to clean install SL, and oh boy I missed the snappiness of SL. Lion, Mountain Lion, and even Mavericks do not have the system responsiveness traits of SL, not even close. I really wonder what Apple did wrong in this department.

Day One, a journaling app that I used most, launched almost instantaneously after a click on the Dock with the icon bounced just once. This is on SL. Whereas on Mavericks, sad to say it takes a 3 to 4 bounces before the interface appears. And now it has this weird bug that loses connection to DropBox whenever Day One wanted to access my journal file, and then hangs.

Bear in mind that my MBP has an SSD plonked in, SL flies, but Mavericks really behaves like SL on HDD instead.

23. macrumors member

It's Mavericks also a clean install? Based on what you said, mine is faster and it's a 13" MBP with HDD.

24. macrumors 65816

Upgrade directly from Snow Leopard. Otherwise some of my apps won't install properly. Also tried clean install of Mavericks previously, seems to be more flaky with it. Mavericks with SL foundation seems more stable.

25. macrumors newbie

Mavericks Compatibility List

This is directly from Apple's website:

Mac models compatible with OS X Mavericks

- iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
    - MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
    - MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
    - MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
    - Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
    - Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
    - Xserve (Early 2009)