Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dashphire

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2010
Vancouver
I have a 2010 unibody mac mini 8gb ram and since I've updated to Mavericks, everything is a bit faster, not that it was slow before. I don't have any beach ball issues or any issues at all. Too bad other people are having issues. I hope they do a patch soon.

Akarin

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2011
Nyon, Switzerland
Having the same issue with slow Finder. Tried everything on my Mini and my Air. It drives me nuts. Reverting to a Carbon Copied version of my system pre-10.9. Will re-upgrade when a patch is released.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
And this is why Mavericks sucks.:mad:

With ML that never went below 1GB free

I don't understand this, isn't it supposed to compress RAM?

Also, what exactly does 'inactive RAM' mean? I'm pretty sure it means there's actually a lot more free RAM, it's just that some of it is reserved for applications in case they need it.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I don't understand this, isn't it supposed to compress RAM?

Also, what exactly does 'inactive RAM' mean? I'm pretty sure it means there's actually a lot more free RAM, it's just that some of it is reserved for applications in case they need it.
That's what I thought. However, i've never had this many system lockups and spinning beach balls with any other OS. And I have a 2012 Quad-Core MacBook Pro, so it's not like I have an hold computer.

Petie81

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2013
Mid 2011

I've a mid 2011 27" iMac and I experience the same issues.

Working in Photoshop isn't fun anymore.
Beach ball very frequently.
Losing connection to my NAS
Over all the performance is sticky

How do i go back to ML?

xylitol

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Finland
I just encountered the problem of extremely slow folder operations. Activity Monitor exposed the culprit, a process called 'com.apple.IconServicesAgent'. I killed the process (force quit), restarted Finder (using cmd-option-esc), and Finder seems to be normal now (or for now).

mrburberry

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2013
same problem here with the mac book pro retina display... thinking I'm buying power this bull cr()p is freezing when using photoshop but most annoying of all is when i open finder and it shows the folder but no content loads until i click the folder all the way from it starting root. I'm calling apple about this.

ASKendrew

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
United Kingdom
I'm having the same problems on my 2 day old 13' rMBP. So surely its just a software issue? Like others there is no hiccups to the system...it juts gets quite annoying when it pops up when all you're doing is scrolling around Safari. :rolleyes:

mamon343

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2010
North America
I can not believe Apple hasnt fixed this yet.

This is more important than mail app as it is a core functionality of os that that doesnt work without it its pretty much unusable, or extremely hard to do work.

Now im reinstalling ml and will go back when its fixed.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Curious if people experiencing this still have the problems when starting in Safe Mode. It's always possible that a 3rd-party background utility you have is not quite compatible with Mavericks.

Then again, I'm still on ML, and waiting until at least 10.9.1 before I upgrade. The 10.x.0 releases have always been historically rough around the edges, to varying degrees.

chesbrougha

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2009
Not sure, but after permissions repair in disk utility, try this below. Can't hurt to try.

Clear the kext caches:

sudo chown root:admin (enter password)

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

Do in terminal and reboot. make sure your start up disk is still selected correctly in preferences.

This solution worked for me on both my mbpr and hackintosh. Thanks a bunch.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
I just found a way to guarantee a massive multi-minute beachballl session

Garageband has a new feature, the AI drummer that is part of Logic.

One of the features of this drummer AI is if you have an existing song where you perhaps used a drum machine and you can check "Follow" to have the AI drummer to follow the general structure of the drum track you originally had in your song so you can have a nice "real drummer" sounding version of what was in your song before.

If you have a lengthy song and you tell the kick and snare to follow your original drum track. WOW.

It took my Corei7 2.8 ghz iMac with 16 gigs of 1333 mhz memory and created a ten plus minute spinning beachball session.

Unreal. I guarantee this would even slow down the brand new multicore Mac Pro in the same way.

Some definite tightening up of some code needs to happen. Wow.

MacintoshDan

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
My 2012 iMac and MacBook Air are both beachballin pretty frequently, I'm trying a clean reinstall on the Macbook right now, since I do not have any files on it. Hopefully it helps, but Im thinking this is a bug in Mavericks.

BadaBing!!

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2010
Same Finder slowness on my mid-2011 Air
And it's a clean install of Mavericks.

Can't wait for the fix.

chaseychasem

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2012
Haven't noticed a slowdown per se, but the several broken features in Mail.app and the recurrent spinning beach balls have been a drag.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
I have decided to go back to ML 10.8.5 until 10.9.2 at least.

The beach balls, finder slow downs, finder crashing, and overall finder glitches is too unbearable.

randolorian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2011
If you are using a DIY Fusion Drive, flash PRAM and reset SMC. This fixed the slowdown for me.

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
You can try to make sure that IPv6 is set to local-link in your network/wifi settings…under tcp/ip

akialoa

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2009
The solution given here worked for me:

http://osxdaily.com/2013/11/13/fix-finder-slow-high-cpu-use-mac-os-x/

The only caveat is that it didn't seem to work right away for me. But after doing a restart everything was great. Finder was back to normal.

Update: OK, I retract that. The spinning ball did go away in some apps when opening folders but it is still happening in some others. Back to being mystified.

Last edited:

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Couple of things to check for people

I am testing a setting in network connections.

When on an ethernet connection, I set the ip6 config from auto to link local-only. this seems to have helped a bit, even when attaching from mail.

Problem is as many know, upon restarts the issue is certainly more prevalent. I cannot understand why this glaring issue is still here. Finder is simply the most used item on my dock, email attachments, and saving docs/pdf's I do so many times a day- it becomes frustrating watching those folders having to repopulate.

I have not a clue why this is acting the way it is. Called apple, of course the answer was wipe the hard drive and start over, so tired of those BS answers from them.

I may just take it in to the genius bar- hand it over and tell them to call me when it is working. Let them fix the damn thing.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Update

Generally under most use Mavericks works decent on my machine except a few specific circumstances (the previous Garageband follow track feature although it seems like that has sped up since the first time I tried it - maybe the first time it's caching everything?) and shutting down.

Don't know about you guys but are you finding it takes minutes to shut down if you ever need to shut your computer down?

slashpot

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2011
I've been having similar problems with my 2011 iMac (Core i7 3.4ghz 16GB 2GRadeon HD6970M) Finder takes 10-15 secs to change directory, slower when 'saving as', constant beach ball bingo etc.
I followed the restart, cmd-r, repair disk & permissions, restart, and now my finder and the machine in general is faster than it's been in yonks!
Thanks guys! Much appreciated, hope it works for others, nothing worse than a geologically slow Finder!!!

iciconnect

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
Florida
While we're having problems, Apple Discussion makes it sounds as if we're a very small percent of people with issues. Today iTunes crashed and it will not loaded even after removing the preference folder. Before the crash I had a spinning Beach Ball and I lost my mouse cursor (pointer). Control+Tab I was able to switch to finder. Finder was moving very slow until I forced closed iTunes. After doing that, well...

PaulRiehl

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2012
I finally thought to see if anyone else was having this problem...startup excruciatingly slow, blank finder windows for seconds before files appear, beachball beachball beachball.

I've got a year-old Mac Mini with 16GB RAM.

What I find amazing is how the Apple sheeple all immediately proclaimed Mavericks the most AWESOME AMAZING thing to ever hit the planet when it's the most bug-ridden release yet...wake up, people...another example of Apple core rot.

Last edited:

KySTrokr

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2008
My late 2010 definitely runs slower. Boots slower.

Finder definitely slower.

Problems with scanning on Workforce 840 printer when image correcting manually. Opening the scanned image icon,with an already corrupted thumbnail freezes my computer. Never did any of this before Maverick.AppleCare working on it. But I digress. Next AppleCare call will be to get my machine running faster.

Still slow after a reinstall after trying to solve the scanner issue. Arrrgh!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.