Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Apple's Power Nap feature is currently limited to a small selection of MacBook Airs and Retina MacBook Pros, it appears that some iMacs utilizing flash storage or Fusion Drives may be able to take advantage of the technology when Mavericks is released.

First introduced with OS X Mountain Lion, Power Nap is a feature that performs various background functions while a Mac is charging and sleeping. For example, emails and other app updates are able to be downloaded and apps like Reminders, Notes, and Calendar sync. Time Machine backups are also initiated, as is Spotlight indexing.

In the screenshot below, the late 2012 iMac is shown running Power Nap. The model includes a Fusion drive, first introduced alongside the iMac, which combines flash storage with a standard hard drive.

imacpowernap.jpg
Because it runs in the background, Power Nap requires a solid state drive to function. At this time, it is not clear whether additional products, such as the Mac mini (which also has a Fusion drive option) will be able to access Power Nap as well.

Mavericks also includes a separate feature called App Nap, which is designed to extend battery life when working with multiple apps at one time by limiting power to the apps running in the background.

OS X Mavericks is expected to be launched to the public in late October. The Golden Master, which is the final version of the software that will be provided to the public, was seeded to developers last week.

(Thanks, Hans!)

Article Link: Mavericks to Include Support for 'Power Nap' on iMacs

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
P.S. The late 2012 iMacs are no longer "the latest" iMacs...

Good to hear it works on the previous-generation, though. I wonder if it will work with even older SSD-equipped Macs?

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Finally! Been waiting for this to come to iMacs for a while now. I'll definitely appreciate this feature.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Can Power Nap be somehow "hacked" into running on other systems with SSD, like an older MBA or a MBP with SSD?

EDIT: Found the answers: Yes to MBA, no to MBP :-/

Last edited:

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Can confirm it's supported (at least the checkbox is there) on my late 2012 Mac mini with fusion drive.

Also my GPU jumped from 768MB RAM to 1 GB.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Can confirm it's supported (at least the checkbox is there) on my late 2012 Mac mini with fusion drive.

Also my GPU jumped from 768MB RAM to 1 GB.

I agree.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 4.01.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 4.01.48 PM.png
    226.7 KB · Views: 237

MikeLord

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2004
Confirmed on my Mac mini with self-upgraded Seagate ST750LX003-1AC154 Laptop Solid State Hybrid Drive & Laptop Thin SSHD.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 208

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I can confirm that my Mac Mini has Power Nap on Mavericks. I use a Crucial SSD that I installed myself. Did not use Fusion.

RobeeSVK

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2010
Slovakia
Question - iTunes Home Sharing?

I remember reading about this wider Power Nap implementation in some quick review after first DP was released, curious about what requirements will be (as I have late 2009 iMac and 2010 Mac Pro currently running Mavericks, I did not find this option to test it myself)

but more important question for me and I would be grateful for any reply - somewhere (and could not find it now) I read that Mavericks should allow iTunes Home Sharing during Power Nap - can anyone test it/answer it please? Benefits of this feature are IMHO self-explanatory

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I just want sleep to work properly, when ever I wake up my late 2012 27" after deep sleep most times I loose my network drives and it can only be fixed with a restart.

hybra

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
Just a little concerned about this:

"During Power Nap, system sounds are silent and no lights or fans come on."

why no fan, what if the cpu gets too warm?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.