mawharhar, those PeeCee-users... but eBay trouble for me

Discussion in 'Community' started by vollspacken, Jun 28, 2003.

1. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

last week I sold a soundblaster PCI 128 that was pulled from my dad's PC on eBay...

now comes the part that drives me crazy:

- the guy who bought it for €10 wrote me an eMail in which he complains that his PC, running Wincrap 98se, can't recognize the card... even though the card was in good condition and perfect working order when I took it out of the machine of my dad. I wrapped it in huge amounts of bubblewrap and shipped it together with the driver-CD and the manual...

- when the guy complained last night, I used google.com in search of troubleshooting for his problem. I found out that several hardware and bios conflicts etc. are common with this card. I also told him to try the drivers off the CD, update the BIOS, try the card in a different machine, and gave him additional web-addresses for other drivers...

- today, my dad told me about his own problems with getting the card to work (IRQ-address conflicts, troubles with the drivers, order of the PCI cards in his machine)...

conclusion:

1st: I'm really glad that I don't have to mess around with this stuff on my tiBook...

2nd: I'm getting the impression that this guy wants to screw me over!!!

we'll see how this is going out...

vSpacken

oh, BTW, this is the first time I have problems on eBay

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Despite being the most popular (almost ubiquitous) sound cards on PCs the Creative cards seem to have a lot of driver conflicts. Try the combination of a SB Live, a Via KT motherboard and a Geforce Ti4400 for an example. I had this and the damn thing would lock a few seconds into starting anything using Direct3D. I had to install a 3d party hack to adjust the PCI bus latency just to get the thing to work.

The guy sounds like an idiot who doesn't actually know how to install a driver if it's not in 98SE to start with. It's a £6 card. Personally I'd have thrown it away and saved myself the hassle of dealing with people like him...

3. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

i used to have the same card - had it for about 3 years, used it in 2 different systems, with several os's (win98, 2k, ME [bleuch], XP Pro, Mandrake) and never had a single problem, apart from the time it fell out of the PCI slot while my machine was still on (yes, i forgot to screw the card in properly, whoopsie).

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time with it - must just be bad luck. Although... there are a few variations of that card; might be worth fiding out the full model number and looking to see if there are any very specific problems if you haven't done so already,

4. vollspacken thread starter macrumors 65816

vollspacken

:) thanks, yeah I should just have thrown it away in the first place... and if that guy gives me bad feedback, so what?! all the other 50+ people I dealt with so far, have given me extremely positive feedback...

I'm shure its a hardware conflict or a configuration problem from his side... anyway, I highly doubt that he wants to risk shipping the damn thing back and fourth and then ending up with additional EUR 10,- in shipping because the card runs fine on my family's PCs... ;)

vSpacken