Max Hard Drive Size

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by hugemullens, Apr 14, 2003.

1. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

I am on a 800 DP Quicksilver and was wondering if there is a maxium size HDD i can hook up with out an add on card. I know windows cant use like beyond 180gb, and i am interested in about 180 or 200gb. Thanks in advanced.

2. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

not true... I believe you are limited to about 128GB on the internal IDE bus. (on the dual 800)

External Firewire can handle any size.

arn

4. MacCoaster macrumors 6502a

MacCoaster

Washington, DC / Rochester, NY / Lexington, NC
    Re: Max Hard Drive Size

Wrong. Windows can do hundreds and hundreds of gigabytes, even terabytes!

The problem was most PCs used to use 28- or 32-bit (forget which) LBA addressing, but now they have 48-bit which can do beyond 136 GB, up to a theoretical 128 petabytes. [edit] However, don't forget SCSI, LVD, RAID, et al.

The only limitation here is the Windows NTFS filesystem, which can do above 2 terabytes. [edit #2] Just looked up HFS+, seems like HFS+'s limitation is 2 terabytes, like FAT32.

edit: oh, by the way, SCSI is the way to go if you want such large storage space, IMO.

5. hugemullens thread starter macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

yeah, i know windows can support large drives and that its a hardware issue, which is why i wanted to know what i can do without an adapter card, so 120 gigs seems to be as big as i can go without adding a card. poop. If it matters i plan to slave it on the built in controller to a 60 gig. thanks all.

6. hacurio1 macrumors regular

Yes Arn, you are correct. There is a hardware limitation in old PM. OS X is not the problem, but the internal IDE bus on old PM. I bought a PCI ATA 133 controler and I have two 180 GB Hard Drives conected. The internal IDE Bus on old PM can only handle 128GB. if you want biger HDs you have two options: 1) Get and external SCSI array, or FW HD. 2) Get an internal ATA PCI controller that supports HD bigger than 128GB.

Good Luck!!

7. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Well that's pretty stupid. No wonder everyone dogs us about our inferior hardware.