Max Mac Pro HD Space

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ibookowner2, Aug 7, 2006.

1. ibookowner2 macrumors regular

ibookowner2

It says up to 2TB's on apple's website but I was wondering if that was only true if you ordered directly from the apple store. Could you put four 750gb hd's in there making it 3TB's of space.

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

3. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

4. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I would assume so, it has four hardrive bays for 3.5" drives. I'm guessing it come to whether the operating system can read that much data. I would find the info but my bandwidth is full for the keynote :eek:

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

AFAIK, scalability has never been a problem with HD size. Even when the mobo controllers of yesteryear were limited to addressing a max of 128GB, there were HDs way bigger than that and pci cards to get around the limitation. And of course, shortly after that, the onboard controllers were updated anyways.

Seeins how the new macs use the SATA II interface, and Leopard is fully 64bit, I don't think we will run into any HD size or addressing limitations, at least not for a long, long time to come........

6. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

i think the the max is something like 144 (PB) (petabytes) 1 PB is 1000 TB (terabytes) so you should be good for some time.

Tyler

7. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Wait, I thot it was byte -> kb -> mb -> gigbyte -> terabyte -> teraflop

Am I missing something here? If this is wrong, then what is a teraflop. My tech teacher told me it was the next step up, aka 1000tb. Whoever needs that much storage is crazy.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A teraflop is a billion? floating-point operations per second. It's a measure of speed, not capacity.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There are also 2 unused/unpopulated SATA connectors on the board, that are not part of the drive bays.
    So there are actually 6 SATA spots of which Apple used 4.

10. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Oh, thanks for clearing that up for me, man, all the posts I have said Teraflop in, I feel like such an idiot, oh well, no one has caught on yet...

Yeah, now that you mention it, i did hear about that number on an Xbox 360 specs thing, jus a simple misunderstandin'.