Max Number of Multiple Displays?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by 000111one111000, Apr 22, 2003.

1. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

Quick question.

What's the maximum number of displays you can have on OS X?

Once I finally do get a new Mac, I'll most likely get another display to go with it. So, I'll have two extra CRT's sitting around. Can I hook both of them up to have 3 displays on one machine?

enoch

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I cannot confirm this but I read somewhere a long time ago that Macs could have up to 9 displays (this was pre OSX though). In a more practical sense it is limitted by the number of cards you can put in the mac. The AGP card in PowerMacs supports 2 displays and you should be able to get dual head PCI cards as well. Current PowerMacs have 4 PCI slots so you could put another 4 PCI graphics cards in there and get 10 displays. But this would use up all your expansion capability.

3. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

you could also get a hub of some sorts *(if they sell them) to avoid using up all of your ports

just an idea

4. insidedanshead macrumors regular

you sure can. I have had 4 monitors on my machine at one point.. now I only have 3. My main card is an AGP Radeon 9000 which supports two monitors.. then I have two rage pro PCI cards and a monitor on each.. I have never heard of a monitor hub? in fact im pretty sure they don't exist.. well atleast not for extended desktop.. if you just want to mirror what your main monitor has on it then thats another story..

5. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i was just making it up as i went along about the moniter hub. that would be a coool idea when we get that far in technology and stuff.

6. pdham macrumors member

There are cards that have multiple heads for multiple monitors. I know there is a company that makes one with 8 heads. I dont know if it runs with OSX. I will continue to look for the site I saw it on. in themean time here is a site that has lots of info about multiple displays. Displays link

7. pdham macrumors member

well I found the comapny I was looking for. They ar called Appian. THey specialize in multiple display cards, but wont be developing for osx. Bummer