Max Payne 2 Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by voyagerd, Oct 19, 2003.

1. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

After the release of Max Payne 2 for PC a few days ago, I have heard many good things about it. My friend has laready beaten it in 10 hrs. BUT, is there going to be a Mac version? If so, who will make it and when will it be released?

I e-mailed Aspyr, MacSoft, and Westlake Interactive to see if they are making it.

As a "hardcore" mac gamer, I would really like to see mac games released near the time when windows games are released...

2. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

i played the first one this summer, it was pretty sweet, wouldn't mind getting my hands on a mac version

3. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Hardcore Mac gamer? Anyone that games on the Mac would have to be made of sturdy stuff. I tried UT2K3 today on my G4 1GHz iMac and I still feel queezy.

I have to keep telling myself that I bought this machine for iLife and the PC is for games.

I read the Avault review and they said that the game ran fine on one of their older test machines: a 1GHz Athlon with a GF 2 GTS. They ran it at 640*480 with max detail and it ran very smoothly. To me this suggests that there is hope for Mac gamers

4. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Games run well on my Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz with a Radeo 9800 Pro and 1.5 GB RAM.:D

5. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

I have not heard anything in the works about Max Payne 2 for Mac as of yet but I assume that it will be in the works sometime what with the success of the first. The next release of the game will be for Xbox and PS2 on December 3rd and I plan to snap up the Xbox copy. I'm sure it will happen sometime.

6. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Not as well as they run on my P4 3.36 GHz with Radeon 9800 Pro and 1 GB dual channel DDR. :D :D

7. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Well, at least I don't have to put up with Windows...:p

8. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

"Hardcore" mac gaming consists of Tetris on "insane" :-D

In other news.. Max Payne 2 didnt run on My PC, So I hope there is a Mac version of it :-D

9. lewdvig macrumors 65816

I would do almost anything to leave Windows behind forever. But I can not until I play through Half Life 2.

And if CS 2 is really good...

Plus I really liked Max Payne...

And the Call of Duty demo was sweet...

Ah crap. I met the game dev relations guy from Apple a couple years back. I wish this dude would hustle a bit more.

There is NO QUESTION the newest mac hardware can handle any game. Apple is not trying hard enough to get game devs on board.

I hate stupid windows.

10. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Wow...Max doesn't look constipated anymore. ;)

Graphics look much better. Hopefully there's a playable demo.

11. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

from what i heard in another forum.. max payne 2 isnt the smae charechter as in Max payne 1...

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I figured. But they could have made it the same guy without the grimace this time.

13. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

OMG, my last post made me sound like a total retard.. Ill have to proof read before posting more often...

14. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Or you can edit your post... I do often also that.

:p Seems my post also needs editing.

irmongoose

15. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

The character in Max Payne 2 has the same voice as the guy in 1.

LOL, constipated!

16. lewdvig macrumors 65816

I opted not to wait for a MP2 Mac announcement. I have played about half way through MP2. Its a very good game. A bit easy - like the first.

The leading lady is pretty hot. Yeah, I said it. The graphics are incredible. I hear they look equally good on a lower end PC. I think the game will rock on the Mac.

I am patiently waiting for Raven Shield and Splinter Cell to come out on the Mac. I can get them cheap on the PC, but I want to support Mac devs. Plus, I have faith in the UT2k3 engine.

17. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i was highly disappointed in this game. i dont even play it anymore. the only difference between this one and the first one is better graphics and improved physics. basically if you shoot someone on the stairs he will fold over the rail, wow. of course i hope it comes to mac, we need all the games we can get, but i didnt like the game.

iJon

18. AkiraK macrumors member

I have to disagree with the last post. Sure, there are better graphics (much betters) and superior physics (far superior), but there is also a more engaging storyline and gameplay tweaks that make the overall experience more enjoyable. The whip pan spinning reload move is a sight to behold, and has yet to get old after several hours of gameplay. Besides, I would rather play through Max Payne 2 again than suffer another minute of Halo (which easily receives my vote for most overrated game *ever*).

As to Mac vs. PC gaming, I frequently tell people that I work on my Mac and play on my PC. I hate Windows, and would love to completely forsake it in favor of my Mac, but until games start shipping relatively closely to their PC counterparts, I will keep my PC. I believe in supporting Mac game developers, and buy Mac whenever I have the option, but delays ranging anywhere from 6 months to **years** is unacceptable, especially when a new Mac game costing $40+ is usually available in the PC bargain bin.

19. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i agree completly, the mac is nowhere near the pc in terms of gaming. and the g5 is the first mac that can actually come close to playing as well as a pc.

iJon

20. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Comparing a dual Xeon 2.4 to a dual G5 2.0 in Nascar Racing 2003 the G5 wins hands down. The Xeon had a 128MB Nvidia GeForce 4 and the G5 has the low end 64MB Raedon (although it is 8X AGP). On the PC I was able to run at 1600x1200x32 with everything max'd, but never even approached 100 fps. If I remember correctly (forgive me) it ranged in the 70's and 80's. On the G5 same settings I see 150+ fps. I only have the demo on the new Mac so I can't say what it would be with a full field, but even with 11 cars on the track going by the pits the frame rate never drops below 100.

I'm torn between my new Adobe CS training CD's from www.totaltraining.com and my old Momo. Damn thing gets in the way ya know :p

21. trumpetguyscw macrumors newbie

sorry man, but although I love Macs too, all that powerful hardware is a little useless without any brand new games coming out for it. I'm sick of waiting for Macsoft to re-release Winbox games 6-12 months after the Windows release, only to have lackuster GFX and sound compared to their Windows counterparts. Where are all these game developers? Granted, I hate Windows too, but it seems if you want the newest releases for games NOW, a Mac simply is not the answer.

Also I'm not defending Windows Boxes, but aren't Xeon processors not built for gaming, I thought those were meant for servers and high end applications? Another thing, they are testing the Windows box with a 128 MB Video Card, there are 256 MB cards out there that could probably take down the G5 in fps. Sorry, I really want to agree with you as much as everyone else does, but the problem is although the processor and most hardware is better on the best Mac, the gaming software nor the video cards have caught up with Windows.

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is why apple should get behind, support or even come up with its own game making division, after all the software they make is terrific i bet they could get some good talent and do a mac only game every year that would rock. I would like to see some exclusive written only for the mac games and i dont mean tetris and i dont mean ottomatic but more like Halo or a epic space flight simulator like terminus.

23. AkiraK macrumors member

Actually, if you want the newest releases for games NOW, a console is your only answer. With more and more games being designed from the ground up with console play at the forefront, titles on the PC are either delayed or crippled to support console specs. Several developers of note have even begun developing for consoles only...et tu, Blizzard?

DEUS EX: INVISIBLE WAR is a great example--everything about it reeks of console, from the rotary inventory system to the godawful "Bloom" (the sole purpose of which seems to be to soften edges for TV resolution, and which has to be turned off for the game to look even remotely decent on a PC).

PRINCE OF PERSIA is another example, a stellar game with one of the quirkiest cameras I've ever seen and controls that were obviously designed to minimize the number of keys (read "buttons") needed to play at the expense of elegance.

The good news is that PC/Mac games are patchable (the latest DE:IW patch actually addresses some of the console-related problems with the shippiing version). As much as I love gaming on my Mac and/or PC, my PS2 and XBox have seen more gaming use of late than either of my computers.

24. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You forgot to mention Halo, if ever a game can reek of console that one does.