Max Payne

Discussion in 'Games' started by newguy, Sep 8, 2004.

1. newguy macrumors member

I just got Max Payne for a whopping $5, but can't get it to run on my new 12" PB. I installed it, but when I hit the application icon, it will give me the load screen, load, change resolution, change resolution back, and drop me off at my desktop. Any ideas?

2. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Could be a resolution issue... I believe MP works on the Unreal Engine so there should be tweak files for the app that allow you to do a manual set of the resolution... other than that I'm not sure... I'd restart first if you hadn't and then make sure you have enuff RAM.

3. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    Max Payne uses it's own engine if i'm not mistaken.

4. punkmac macrumors regular

max payne

Do you have the cd inserted?

5. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Max Payne. That's a good game. Yeah, make sure you have the CD in. That's an easy mistake.

6. newguy thread starter macrumors member

7. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

Did you try changing the resolution setting in the settings dialog that comes up when you launch the program? If it got turned off somehow, hold the option key while you double click the program.

8. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I would try to change you current desktop resolution so something normal, like 1024x768. I know you're on a widescreen laptop, but maybe it's having problems switching.

9. newguy thread starter macrumors member

It's at 1024x768. I tried different resolution in the game menu. Anybody else?

10. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Oh! execute the game from a terminal, then when it exits abnormally, it will give you the error (or code). Once you know the error, then we can narrow it down from there...

11. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Oh, and to execute the app from the terminal type ./[followed by the filename with it's extension '.app']

Edit: If you don't know how to navigate directories in a terminal, you can just drag the game icon into the terminal window. That will give you the path.