Maxed out Processor "MaintenanceProce"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macbwizard, Jul 17, 2006.

1. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

Hello,

I got back to my MBP and its fans were spinning full speed. Thanks to menu meters I was able to see that my processor was maxed out. This is the second time that this has happened (last time I rebooted) and now am wondering how to prevent this in the future. Does anyone know what this/these program/programs is/are?

Thank you very much

[​IMG]

EDIT: I just rebooted and unlike last time, the problem is still there. I checked my start-up items and there's nothing suspicious. Strange.

EDIT2: These are powerpc processes, so they aren't part of the OS. I started manually forcing them to quit... and then they reappear as OpenScript.proc and seem to take as much of the CPU as they can.

EDIT3: I tracked down the location on the disk and it appears that these are part of the system files.

[​IMG]

2. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

That's not a system file. That is a file that is used system-wide. As far as I can tell, it's only related to the app 'Sticky Brain'. At least this is what google tells me. It's not a file I've ever seen, you're are probably safe to delete the file for now.

3. bmorsh macrumors newbie

MaintenanceProce

I believe this is a script that is kickstarted by the open database that comes with your original mac os x installation. I have had this problem from time to time, and I have killed the processes (and their parents).

I am not sure if this database is used by anything useful on my mac. I have downloaded a very large update for the database, and I hope this fixes it. If it does not, I will just remove the database and get it over with.

4. bmorsh macrumors newbie

Confirmed ...

I have updated my open database and can confirm now that the problem has gone away. It is a 100 MB update. But you need to download it directly from their website @ www.openbase.com.