Maximize a window

Discussion in 'macOS' started by georgi0, Jan 14, 2007.

1. georgi0 macrumors regular

georgi0

Is there a way to maximize in full windows view a windows using a shortcut?

I can hide and close, using the command H, W, Q, but what if i want to fll the screen with a windows?

tnx

2. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

This question has been asked many times before- try doing a search.

However, if I remember correctly, the short answer is No.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Short answer: No, that is not the Mac way...

Long answer: The Mac paradigm is multitasking, and windows maximize to the size they need to be, not the entier screen, thus making room for more applications and/or some Finder space, which in turn makes drag'n'drop (another Mac paradigm) easier. But, there is a workaround for browser windows, if you still want it: Make a bookmark in the bookmarks bar, name it appropriately (mine is called [F]) and change the URL/location to: javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight);

Grumpy answer: Please use the search function. This has been asked very, very often...

4. dylanemcgregor macrumors member

Thanks for the javascript. This will help me out quite a bit as I don't find that windows really "maximize to the size they need to be" very often. If that was the case just about every browser window would take up the whole vertical height of the screen at least, but whenever I use the + button I find it usually only expands to take up half of the available height or less.

Now if there was just a convenient way to do this for all Mac applications. :)

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I've been using OS X for years. I have never even once had this problem. Windows always get as big as they possibly can or until the entire webpage(or whatever) can be seen.

6. dylanemcgregor macrumors member

Really? I just tried this again in Firefox and this window shrunk to take up about two thirds of my vertical screen, and I have a horizontal scroll bar (although a small one). That's been my experience with just about every app I've used in OS X...but I freely admit I might be doing something wrong.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

If it is already 'maximized' (for a lack of a better word) then it will shrink. Click it again, and it should 'maximize'.