Maximize a Window

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by nbs2, Apr 27, 2004.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Stupid Question:
    I'm a PC convert, and can minimize and maximize windows with my mouse, but...how do I do it with my keyboard? Basically, when I Command-Tab or whatever it's called I can switch applications, but I don't know how to change windows. I hope I make sense. Thanks!

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Hopefully these will help:

Command-M minimizes a window
    Command-` (key under esc) toggles between windows of the front applications
    Command-shift-` toggles between windows of the front application in reverse order

In Panther (exposé):

F9 Shows all windows
    F10 Shows all windows of front application
    F11 Hides all windows so you can see the desktop

3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

and cmd+tab toggles all open apps, and cmd+h hides the app...who needs to minimize...except when showin off teh genie effect :p

cheers

4. Awimoway macrumors 65816

HexMonkey's list is lengthy and useful. But the answer your question directly:

Command-`

That's not an apostrophe, by the way. It's the key above the Tab key.

5. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

um, not quite

I appreciate the help (don't think I'm ungrateful), but that wasn't quite the question. Cmd-` changes the window in the in the active application, but the window has to be available to go to it. I'm talking about when the window is minimized. It's all tiny in the dock, and I have to go down to the dock to get it back. It doesn't take any effort, but I'm just faster with a keyboard and more comfortable with it. How do I 'restore' the window?

6. Awimoway macrumors 65816

At least in Safari, it's a menu option that will appear under "Window" when a windows is minimized. Unfortunately, there is no key command listed alongside it. However, if you're using Panther you should be able to create a key command for any menu item in System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts. However, I've never messed around with Keyboard Shortcuts, so I can't give any further details on how to customize them.

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Minimize is clunky and useless. Use Hide. Then you won't have your little keyboard problem.

8. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

cmd+tab to get to the minimized app, then cmd+1 to maximize it..

cheers

9. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Command-1 doesn't work for me.

10. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

well ...actually, if the app is minimized, its cmd+1 for most apps...but if u hv closed the window , cmd+n..wd work
    and if u hide the app..just cmd+tab wd open it..

cheers

11. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I did try it with windows already minimized. I tried it in Mail.app and Safari. No dice for either. So after your second post, I tried it with iTunes and it worked. But that's too inconsistent to be useful, in my opinion.