Maximum Compatibility Web Browser

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DerChef, Mar 14, 2006.

1. DerChef macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    Yes I know we had a thread on best browsers recently but I read today an article in UK Mac Format magazine that says that Opera is the web browser for Mac that is most Internet Explorer like in terms of operation.:confused:

I find this odd as I got rid of Opera when so many of my favourite sites would not play ball with it.

I was waiting till the the new version of Netscape 8.0 arrives as I believe you can flip it between Gecko and Trident layout engines.

I am asking this this because despite using Safari 95% of the time and happy with it I want to be able to flip to something that acts like (modern !) Internet Explorer with no ifs buts and maybes on sites that dont work properly.

I am trying Shirra at the moment but I think is based on the same engine as Konqueror, but surely this is what Safari is ?

By the way dont start mentioning Firefox and Camino to me I detest Mozilla products and that Gecko rendering engine.
  2. Pedro. macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2006
    I personally agree with what the magazine said. I find Opera to be the closest Mac browser to IE in terms of operation. Whenever I face a website that can't be viewed in Safari or any other browser .. usually Opera is able to view it properly .. although I have to say that i hate the looks of Opera.
  3. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    Shirra and Safari share the same rendering engine, so in theory there should be no difference there.

As for Netscape 8.0... I doubt you'll see Trident as an alternative in any Mac version of Netscape. Trident is very much a Windows-only engine.
  4. DerChef thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    seems to share the safari cookies and cache too by the looks of things :confused:
  5. M-theory macrumors 6502

Dec 1, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have to use a Windows machine at work, and I got sick and tired of IE...switched to Firefox, no complaints but had some issues sometimes with certain switched to Opera. I also have Opera installed on my Mac at home and use it often, in addition to Safari and Camino. Opera is very skinable, customizable, and now that they got rid of the banner in the upper left column, I use it more and more both at home and work.
  6. chuchichan2524 macrumors regular

Jun 17, 2005
    best browser for os 8.6?

What is the best web browser to use on OS 8.6? OS 9.1?

I'm currently using IE 5.1, but a lot of memory errors pop up and it freezes all the time. Maybe it's my computer too.
  7. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

Nov 21, 2002
    my memory of this is kinda fuzzy, but i used an old version of netscape when i was using OS 9 (i think it was 4.x :confused: ). i do remember that i didnt like IE...

as for the most compatible browser now? i am no expert, but i have used Safari, FireFox, and Camino quite a bit. Currently Camino is my default browser, and i like it quite much. i have been using it as my default since 1.0 came out, and i had been using the betas for a while before that off and on. so far i have no compatibility issues that have bothered me to any great degree.