Maximum HardDrive Size???!!!?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by aethier, Mar 9, 2004.

1. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

Hello, i just want to know the hard drive size limit (not physical size, actual amount of gigabytes) of the origonal G4 QuickSilver, i am looking to purchase a new hard drive, for it and i read the the first QuickSilver bootrom doesn't support hard drives above 128 gigs, anyone could clear this up, or have actualy tried putting in larger hard drives (such as 200 gigs) with any success?

aethier

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

it seems the onboard hard drive type is ATA/66
    This gives it a max. of 128 GB.

If you want to stick in a larger drive, then you'll need a ATA/133 (ATA/100 should also work) PCI card, to which you attach the bigger HD.

I don't think it has anything to do with the BootROM though. I own a Sawtooth G4 500 MHz with a ATA/133 PCI card installed and use a 200 GB hard disk, which works perfectly.

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Would an external drive over the 128GB limit work? Or do the built-in FireWire ports have the same cap?

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

No problem there.

Even the 1 TB FireWire "Big" disk should work :)

5. aethier thread starter macrumors 6502a

aethier

Thanks that is good to know
    well then i guess i shall purchase a 200gigabyte harddrive and PCI ATA100/133 controller.

if i get the computer to work,
    anyone know what the problem could be, i get it used without mother board, or hard drive (was informed that the motherboard had a problem), and it will only boot to cd's, i used the hard drive in it to firewire boot my powerbook, and it worked, but i can't boot the tower with my powerbook, can it be the ram or somtthing? i borrowd a 128 stick pc133 from a friend just to see if i could fic the computer..

aethier