Maximum PB G4 upgrades?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Obsidian6, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

So. I've decided to hang on to my powerbook for now and continue to shrug off the inevitable intel for just a bit longer.

I know i can only get 2GB of ram into here, but what about something like that super sweet ATI x1600 that comes in the MBP? is there anyway to make that work in here?

and, is it really that scary to take apart the PB to change the hard drive? I only have the 80GB in here now and i would like to put in a seagate 100GB 7200RPM

the x1600 thing is more of a what-if. but it would be cool if it was possible.

i'm just curious because i want this thing to run the best i can for as long as possible.

2. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

You can't upgrade the video, it's on the motherboard, and going from 80gig to 100gig isn't that much. The ram however will make a difference depending on what you do. I have 1gig, and it's more than enough for everything I do. The only time I could use more is if I had iPhoto open. It sucks all the ram you have. But I think iPhoto sucks, and I don't use it anymore.

Sorry you can't up the video, but if you have the ati-9700 like I do, it's already better than the CPU.

Just curious, what do you use the machine for primarily?

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The hard drive is doable -- a PB12" is supposed to be not so bad. Just make sure it's the right height of 2.5" HD and that it has the right interface (I'm pretty sure only 9.5mm ones fit).

The video card won't happen. Sorry.

4. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

well it was in hopes. haha oh well.

i use this powerbook as my on the go photography work station. my former 17" was very snappy with 2Gb of ram so i think ill do that first. i am sort of scared to take it apart and try to replace the hard drive myself. the hard drive upgrade isnt THAT important, but the speed increase would be beneficial i imagine. ( because 80-100GB isnt that big of a jump, now if they start making a 160GB 7200 drive? i'm in )

and yes i am running the mobility 9700 ( 128MB ) it isn't bad, i just thought how awesome it would be to drop in an x1600 :)

5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

6. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

i have considered the daystar route, and mine would be a prime candidate.

but i wonder. would the increase be that noticeable? and why is is so darn expensive?~!? lol!

also -

yeah... that wouldn't be terribly beneficial to me. it already runs pretty warm, i dont want it to get macbook hot ;)

and i imagine that means it will get like a 45min battery lol!

7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

haha.. mac upgrades are always more expensive because it takes so much research to get non-apple hardware to work.

8. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

How about a 160gb laptop drive?. Mine should be here tomorrow...:D

9. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

now that is something i would consider. I like the seagate momentus drives. However, the 160 is only 5400RPM. which in all reality is just fine, but I wonder if a 7200 version will come out soon?

10. Ryan T. macrumors 6502a

Ryan T.

Because of the higher data density and advancements in perpendicular recording, I would be shocked if you noticed performance gains in a 100GB 7200RPM over a 160GB 5400RPM. You will however notice more heat and noise coming from the 7200RPM drive. I'd recommend the bigger, "slower" drive.

11. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

point n oted.

i was thinking about that very same thing myself last night.

Well, looks like i will get that extra gig of ram, and get my hands on a 160GB HD. that should hold me over huh?

i wonder if i should send it out to do the hard drive?

( ooh wait.. on second thought. wouldnt that void my warranty if i change the hard drive? )

12. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

It doesnt void the warranty on the computer, just the HD....so if the HD ever fails, Apple wont replace it. However, this Seagate Momentus has a 5 year warranty, so I'm not worried.

13. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

oh ok that's good to hear. i was worried that it would void the whole computer.

looks like i have my plan set out ;) ( are the ifixit.com instructions easy to follow? )

14. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

I think the most you might be able to upgrade is the Ram. That's at least the only reasonable option, and will yield the most noticeable difference in performance.

15. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

It does void the warranty.
    If any problems should occur and you need your PB fixed Apple might notice the new HDD. Legally they can now claim that you messed up when you installed the drive.Their claim has to be based on physical evidence of you having messed up though.

If you reinstall the original drive and then deliver it in for repair then there should be no problems at all. Unless you left noticeable marks on entry that is.

:rolleyes: According to danish law, US/UK law might differ, but I doubt it.

16. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

Hmm, I was speaking from experience, not the actual law. I've been in for lots of warranty work and I have never been bothered about aftermarket drives.

Sidenote: Just installed the 160gb...and it rocks :D

17. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

The instructions are easy, it just takes patience. Make sure you get the proper size screwdriver and torx bit, the screws strip pretty easily. Good luck if you try to do it yourself, its really not too bad. Feel free to PM if you need help or have questions.

18. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

I will do that for sure, when i actually buy the hard drive, i will hit you up if i get stuck.

i've never disassembled a laptop computer before, still think i can do it?

19. bartelby macrumors Core

I'd never taken a laptop apart until I dismantled my mates 17" PB in order to remove a dead Airport Extreme card. It's actually very easy to do. Just keep all the tiny screws in a safe place!

20. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

that is very comforting to hear, thanks! I'm good about keeping things organized as i disassemble ( i've taken apart other things, just not a laptop )

so i should be pretty good about not losing screws :)

woo! can't wait to do this now, im excited :)

21. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

I'd just like to chip in that in my hands the 160Gb 5400rpm drive in an external FW800 enclosure can copy files at about 2GB/minute. So I think it is pretty comparable to the 7200rpm versions.

Although I chose to have a 7200rpm/100GB IN my PB15" as a BTO, if I had to choose again, I'd put in the 160GB/5400. As it is, I use the 160GB as a bus-powered backup, and data moving device. Very useful instead of carrying my laptop everywhere - like today when the temperature is in the 110's...

22. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

NICE! that sounds really good. I'm totally going with that seagate momentus when i've got the money on hand.

I have two more questions.

1 - I've never installed a raw hard drive before, what is the easiest way to get all my data transfered over? carbon copy cloner?

2- Can i reformat the 80GB drive inside my laptop and use it in an external enclosure? I currently have a lacie FW 40GB that i use as a jump drive for my photo shoots. And a FW 250Gb sitting on my desk to backup my photos from my G5 ( need more space ;) )

23. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

so in reading another thread above this one (changing a MBP hard drive )

some things were mentioned that have me a tad worried.

someone mentioned that the case will be ever so slightly warped once you have opened it?

and another is that the screws should have loctite re-applied upon the reassembly of the laptop?

first off. is that true?? will the case be warped if I ( who have never taken apart a laptop ) take this thing apart? If that is the case. i am going to pass on the hard drive deal. lol.

24. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

My case isnt warped at all :confused:

No need to locktite them, they wont go anywhere ;)

25. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

maybe the MBP case is that much weaker than the Powerbook?

oh well. Confidence in " Project: Upgrade " has been restored :)

I keep finding more and more reasons to love my powerbook over the macbook pros... build quality anyone?