Maximum RAM issue

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MacKenzie999, Oct 13, 2002.

1. MacKenzie999 macrumors regular

Jan 24, 2002
    Hi folks...

I just upgraded the RAM in my g4/466/jaguar, and I have a question about it.

I have 3 slots for ram, and they are full. After upgrading my ram I went to system profiler to make sure it was recognized, and sure enough it was. So far, great.

I also noticed in profiler that I have a mysterious 4th slot which is empty. I say mysterious because I don't know where it is. The three that I know of are all in a row with their little clips for securing the ram, but I don't see anything similar anywhere else. As I'm not a real hardware guy I am wondering if I am missing something or of profiler is hallucinating this 4th slot.

Additionally, a friend with a dual 450 g4 recently told me his mac has 4 slots but will only recognize three of them; loading the 4th causes him all sorts of problems. So, if in fact I do have this 4th slot somewhere, an I inviting trouble by using it? I have extra ram laying around that I'd love to put to work for me.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    My old PowerMac G4 400Mhz AGP certainly had 4 DIMM slots all next to one-another, so I realy would have thought your G4 466Mhz (of the same generation I would think) would only have 3 :confused:
  3. barkmonster macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2001
    The models with 466, 533, 667, 733, 800, 867, 933Mhz and dual 1Ghz cpus, not including the newest "mirrored doors" G4s all have 3 ram slots, PC133 memory, a 4th PCI slot and 4 x AGP.

The models with 350, 400 and 500Mhz cpus have 4 ram slots, PC100 memory, 3 PCI slots and 2 x AGP.

I guess the system profiler is ignorant to the design change in the digital audio G4s and above so it still thinks there's 4 RAM slots or something.

With 512Mb DIMMs being so dirt cheap these days I can't see how being limited to 1.5Gb is a problem, I can't wait to get a more recent mac model so I can max out to 1.5Gb for under £120.