Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bhrose

Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
This isn't a Mac question, necessarily, but I wasn't sure where to post this thread. I'm buying an old 10" Vaio that has 64mb sdram built-in and a 128mb max. If I bought two 128mb sticks, would the notebook recognize it? I was kind of hoping that it's a 128mb max simply because the computer is about 5-6 years old and maybe 256 sticks of sdram didn't exist back then. :)

bhrose

Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
robbieduncan said:
Are you even sure there are two slots? It could be that the 64Mb is soldered to the motherboard.

You're right--64mb is soldered onto the motherboard. But there are two additional slots for a max RAM of 128mb. The Kingston "upgrade package" for the notebook is only $27 and includes two sticks of 32mb. However, I was wondering if it'd be possible to install two 64mb sticks, or even higher if possible.

When a manufacturer lists a max RAM limit, what does that "really" mean? Will installing more RAM than the max mean the computer will ignore the extra RAM?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
bhrose said:
When a manufacturer lists a max RAM limit, what does that "really" mean? Will installing more RAM than the max mean the computer will ignore the extra RAM?

Depends on the Manufacturer and laptop. In the past Apple have understated the max based on currently available RAM sticks, but with the current MacBook (and Pro) the 2Gb appears to be real...

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Hector said:
2GB dimms work with the 845 chipset.

At a chipset level yes. There was a link posted a couple of days back where someone tried using 2Gb SO-DIMMs with the MacBook Pro. It worked fine with a sing 2GB stick but add another 1Gb stick (for 3Gb total), no go. Seems to be a firmware limitation added by Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.