Maxtor 80gb Hard Drive dead???

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by LimeiBook86, Jan 16, 2004.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I bought my Maxtor external FireWire 80gb hard drive after I got my iBook around 2001. A few months ago the Maxtor's Hard Drive case went, the power brick didn't light up. So I moved the hard drive to an old Mac internaly. That has been fine for a while. Well now the drive won't mount. I was able to read it with my G3 MiniTower but it didn't let the volume mount. I tried Tech Tool Pro 2 but It could not even find the drive. So I bought an old Sony Spressa FireWire 10x CD-R drive for $50. I tested the drive and it reads CDs fine. Now I know the case works. I replaced the CD drive for the 80gb IDE Maxtor drive. Now I turn on the case and the light turns green and the hard drive warms up but then stops, it does not turn off but it sounds like it isn't communicating to the computer. I tried this with my 867mhz PowerBook and my Dad's old AGP G4 (both with Mac OS X 10.3) I booted up with Norton 8 and DiskWarrior and none of the programs detect the hard drive. DiscUtility can't see the drive either. I tried changing the jumper settings to Master, Slave, and Cable Select (there is another jumper setting but I forget what it is because I didn't try it) The drive still can't be found. Apple System Profiler finds nothing on the FireWire bus. Is my hard drive dead? I need my data on that drive :( Can anyone recomend anything? How much would it cost to get my data recovered?

Thanks in advance

-Steve

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    seems dead, maxtor has poor quality control. i guess you could take it to a data recovery centerl but those are rather pricey. i dunno what to say except sorry for all that data .

3. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Well i tried to run norton 8 overnight and in the morning i found out the G4 didn't want to wake up. So now I am trying Tech Tool Pro 4, now it can find the Volume and is trying its best to fix it. I hope this works. I will never buy another Maxtor again. :eek:

4. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Because... what, no proof? So you're just blaring out BS?

Just 'cause you read some BS from some guy who had bad experience w/ Maxtor HDs led you to believe all Maxtors are bad?

I've bought and used 4 Quantum/Maxtor HDs in the past 3 years, ran them in single, RAID 0, 1, and 0+1 mode. No problem. Bought and used 4 WD HDs in the past 2 years, same configurations as the Maxtors. No problem. 4 IBM/Hitachi HDs in the past 3 years, also same configuration. No problem. Does that proof anything? No. Because I could go out and buy a pair of Seagate HDs and they could turn out DOA and if I'm as igorant as you are, my immediate reaction would be Seagate makes low quality HDs and their quality control sleeps on the job.

Every company has its flaws, and it's only a matter of luck of draw whether you get a good or bad drive. Most batches are good, but sometimes a bad batches comes out, ie IBM's GXP75 series. Unfortunately all the ignorant J6Ps from that point on will assumed everything IBM makes is trash (and they have). If you look at the reviews by storagereview.com, Maxtor makes some of the most quiet and fastest HDs on the market, and the same goes for IBM/Hitachi. But people are so caught up on reading how quiet Seagate HDs are and how fast WD HDs are, that they failed to realize there are other companies out there that makes equally if not better HDs.

I'm sure Maxtor would be heart broken to learn they've lost a loyal customer.

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    fuzzyball, no need to cuss.

im happy that you had a good experience with maxtor.

but iv serviced an office where all 40 machines had their hard drives fails and needed replacement by the 3rd year. all maxtor drives. could have been a bad batch, and i don't say maxtor doesnt make good drives, i just said they have poor quality control; i mean 40 drives to the same customer...

6. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

stop fightin, geez

So we have had bad expierience that's all I'm saying. I won't be caught buying another one agian. But that is me. My point of view might change if my 200gb Maxtor (fairly new) lives through a couple more years. I gotten the Maxtor 76gb to mount. I copied files onto the hard drive and I am preparing to burn 4 DVDs of all the infromation. Then I will tell Drive 10 to repair the damaged drive and if I lose files it's ok since I have them backed up. If a get more files back I'll just burn another DVD. Thanks for your help...