Maxtor External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by opik, Aug 16, 2006.

1. opik macrumors member

Oct 25, 2005
    Cupertino, CA

Is this a good deal? I saw that the model is out of production...or should I just buy the $79.99 internal drive version and assemble it into an external drive?
  2. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

Aug 2, 2005
    On an island in Maine
    Maxtor got bought by Seagate I believe, so that could explain the deal. I've had good results with their drives in the past. You can get a case for like $30-50 for the internal if you want the ability to change drives later and if you want to save a few bucks. I personally prefer to just pay a little extra and get them preassembled. The price looks to be pretty good. You can get a LaCie 250 with a triple interface for $160, so for a couple extra bucks you can get another 50 gb. You may be able to do some more shopping around and find a cheaper model though.
  3. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2006
    i would built in on your own.
    you can make similar setup with a seagate hd and an case with oxford chipset for the same to cheaper
  4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    I bought the OneTouch III, 300GB FW/usb 2.0 for $149 a few weeks ago at (only because of the price) BestBuy. I like the drive as it's quiet and fast not to mention it was all there, just plug it in and format ;) Try looking around for the OneTouch III for the same price or close to it. Still 300GB is nice for all your storage needs :)
  5. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    maxtor and lacie are both terrible. buy a seagate + enclosure, and save money AND peace of mind.
  6. Duujo macrumors newbie

Apr 20, 2005

I've got the drive you're going to buy - it's very nice.

I'd be cautious about buying a case separately and putting in a harddrive, unless you've already seen the case in action - i bought just a case to house an 80Gb drive, and it is the noisiest most c*$p piece of cheap s#$t you ever saw - even though it was the "better" of the ones available..

So only buy an ext case if someone can recommend a specific one (or you might end up with a lawn mower like i've got! You really appreciate the finish of the maxtors from my experience. Note: i've not used the LaCie's or anything, so i'm not saying they're better or worse. But if the price is good... Hell yeah.)