Maxtor high capacity issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bigboy99, Nov 13, 2005.

1. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

I cannot get my new G4 power book to recognize my Maxtor 300 gig external drive (DiamondMax Plus 10). Could the firewire interface in the external case be the culprit?

Thanks,

BB99

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm guessing that this drive is new. Have you formatted it?

If it is old, what format is the drive in?

3. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a new drive, and was originally formatted to 128 gig in windows (my Dell laptop could not do the full 300 because a firewire hardware limitation). Tiger only sees the 128, and the Disk Utility will not let me go beyond that. I was able to get the drive to format to it's maximum using USB on a Dell. Perhaps I should reformat it to that capacity and then check what the G4 can do.

BB99

4. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

You put this drive in an external enclosure?

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

You probably need to re-partition it. Open up disk utility, select the disk in the left hand pane, and select the partitions tab, and make it a single 300gb partition.

6. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I believe that's my drive as well - I've had one in a USB2 enclosure for a month or so. 300Gb's (well ~279Gb)

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

FW should be able to see the whole 300GB. It's the ATA controller that would be limited to 128GB. Is this a cheapy case? You said USB could do it, so FW should too. Try reformatting at FAT32 on the Mac. Both mahcines should then be able to see all of it if it's ATA/6 48-bit LBA compatible (that means it sees over 128GB partitions). Or just make a new partition in the empty space.