Maxtor One Touch as Backupdisk

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by lamaditx, Oct 7, 2004.

1. lamaditx Guest

Oct 7, 2004
    Hi everybody,
    I guess I will buy an iMac pretty soon. To back up my data I thought about the One Touch external HDD from Maxtor (250GB version - see Apple Store).

To make a backup you just need to push a button on the HDD and it will save all the data through FW400, FW800 or USB2.0 . I used to make backups very infrequent because I forgot or I was to lazzy.
    Also there is additional Software with that HDD to make Backups. Everything is designed for Mac OS X.

Does anybody (professionals !!!) have good or bad experience with this hardware ?

Thanks for your help.

Adrian Lambeck
  2. Brize macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2004
  3. lamaditx thread starter Guest

Oct 7, 2004

thank you for the links.
    I read this
    about the "new generation" of the Maxtor Drives. It was said that they are more reliable than the old versions. In the "User Review" section there are like 50% good and 50% bad concerning reliability.

Maybe some more people express their opinion about EXACTLY THIS drive to see wether it is usefull for backup ...

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    Well I just ordered one from Newegg two days ago and it should be here tomorrow (Friday). It's the Maxtor One Touch 250 GB Firewire 400 drive. So hopefully they're halfway decent. My brother has one and has been using it for several months with no problems. When researching ext HD's the general consensus in this forum (as a whole) was that every brand didn't work and every brand was to be avoided. :confused:

So I just bought something that was within my price range and did what I wanted. If it doesn't work I'll send 'er back. Granted it's for personal use and won't contain any critical data.
  5. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    I would give Lacie D2 hd my vote.

For backupping, the easiest would be to use DiskUtility (in /applications/utilities/) on your mac.
    Another good choise would be to use Carbon Copy Cloner (free, search

I suppose you are using macosx?
  6. lamaditx thread starter Guest

Oct 7, 2004
    i am using mac os x

That's right - I am using Mac OS X.

I wanted to take the Maxtor because it has a button on it you just need to push and it will create a backup. That is just great because I often forget to make backups or I am just lazzy...

As I said - too many people where shouting at Maxtor - so it may not be a good idea to use it for backups.

7. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Maxtor saved my life!!

I've owned my Mac for three years and before that had a Windows 95 PC for six years. In all that time I never made a back up and never opened either case to add or replace anything on either machine. Everyday I turned them on and they worked, even the W.95 PC rarely crashed.

Then, about six weeks ago my iBook started ticking infrequently for a few seconds at a time and would either return to life of need to be restarted with the power button.

It suddenly occured to me that over 4000 digital images (I'm not a graphic artist or photographer, these were almost all of my family so actually WORTH something!) were about to be lost. How would I explain that to my wife, and in 20years to my grown up kids with nothing to show for their first years of life?

Needs must and I shot to the nearest store and bought the only Mac compatable external HD in stock Maxtor's 200GB with fire wire.

On the third(!) attempt I managed to back up my existing data without the iBook freezing. The first two attempts left me sweating!

I don't know whether the Maxtor drive is better or worse than any other but it saved my 'life' and was worth every overpriced penny (the local store price was 60% higher then mail order) and I'm now waiting for an iMac to restore the data to.