Maxtor OneTouch II Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DJMastaWes, Aug 14, 2006.

1. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Hello hello everybody.

Alright, so heres the story.

My dad has a 100GB Maxtor OneTouch II that he uses to back up his "Acer 2020". I need to get rid of stuff on my computer untill I get my Merom MacBook Pro, because my computer keeps getting the "Scratch disk full" message, so I asked him to bring home the Harddrive so I can delete stuff on my computer and story it on his Maxtor untill I get the MBP. Right now, there is nothing on the HD for some reason, so If i need to format or something it's fine. But heres the problem, I plug in the HD and my computer reads it as "untitled" but it reads it. The CD came with an app called "Retrospect Express". I think that's what I need to put data on the Hardrive, becuase when I drag and drop, it says "Untitled could not be modifyed" so I tryed opening "restrospect" and it "unexpectidly" quit, and it keeps on doing so. So my question is, how can I get the files onto the Harddrive, and how can i do it so that my dad can plug it into his Acer and put his stuff on it, without haveing problems and without loseing any of our data?

Thanks

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Under OS X

All NTFS drives are mounted as "read only" so you cannot change anything on the drive.

But the drive needs to be FAT32 for read/write access.

3. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

How can I make it FAT23?

And it will it work on Windows and Mac afterwards and keep all the files once it's changed to FAT23?

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't know of a non destructive method using the Mac.

5. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

What do you mean?

If I need to erase everything to format it now.. it's fine because theres nothing on it. However once it's formated it would have to work on both platforms and keep all files.

6. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

I've never done any disk formatting on a mac so i'm not sure how to do it on OS X. But on Windows you just open up my computer, right click the drive you want to format and click format. Then select FAT 32 and press ok.

7. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

I can't find how to do that on a mac.

If this helps anyone...

[​IMG]

8. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

New Problem.

Another member on MR, told me how to Format is so I can use it for Mac and Windows. So I followed the instructions, useing Disk Utility. I let it go for 30 minutes, and nothing was happening. Disk utility had froze, so I forced quit, and then my computer did not read the HD. I restart and a blue screen was loading and loading (on the restart) so I manualy turned on the computer and then turned it back on. Now when I have the HD pluged in, and I start the computer, I get a message that says the HD cannot be read by this computer and I can "ignore" "Intilize" and somehting else ( i don't remember)

What do I do!?!?

EDIT: right, so I went to security options or something uder erase, and chose "Zero data" or something that that, and chose "MS-DOS" and clicked erase, and it's doing SOMETHING. Hopefuly this will make it work on Mac and WIndows.. but look at this

[​IMG] :S.

9. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Okay now I'm realy mad!

The Disk Utility has been running for 39.5 hours. For 25 hours it was stuck at "19 hours" then the last 6 hours were stuck at "2 Minutes" however for the last 6 hours the bar has not moved at all. The bar was stuck at ...
    [​IMG]
    So for 6 hours that did not move, I was fed up and quit Disk utility (while this was going on I had "Zero KB" left on my computer, so I could do nothing on it, so for about 40 hours I could not do much. I Restarted my computer because my finder was frozen. When It started I got this...

[​IMG]
    Not only that, but I lost a bunch of Menu Bar icons...
    [​IMG]
    I lost the time, fast userswitching and a few other things.

Also, a lot of my program setting were rest. I'm really annoyed and don't know what to do.

So PLEASE PLEASE can someone help me?!?

10. reh macrumors 6502a

STOP QUITTING DISK UTILITY!

No wonder your drive is getting hosed. Just let the damn thing run.

11. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Well, after 40 hours, and the last 6 hours.. NOTHING happend. and the first time I tryed, I got the color wheel for 40 minute.

I really think 40 hours is insane for format a 100GB hard drive, don;t you think?

12. reh macrumors 6502a

When you're zeroing, it takes a very long time. You don't need to zero.

13. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

When I do the default one.. nothing happens, it just frezzes.

14. reh macrumors 6502a

• plug in the disk
    • when os x complains it can't read it, click ignore
    • open disk utility and select your firewire drive
    • select the erase tab
    • change the volume format to MS-DOS
    • type a name for the volume (optional)
    • click the security options button and select "don't erase data" and then OK
    • click the erase button
    This process shouldn't take very long.

15. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Okay.. I'll try that again. But the last 3 times, it just froze. and I let it do it's thing for 40 minutes, but nothing was happening. I'll let you know what happens after a while.

EDIT: So right not it's doing the color whee; (like it's loading) i'll leave it for a while, but if nothing happens for a while, theres something wrong.

16. reh macrumors 6502a

Maybe the partition table on the drive is screwed up. You can go to the partition tab in disk utility and muck about with the partition setup. If you change the number of partitions and then change it back, it should rewrite the partition map (that's the only way i know how to do it anyway).

17. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Can you give me a step by step? Becuase I don't understand what I'm supposed to do.

EDIT: Yea, nothing is going on with the erase.

18. reh macrumors 6502a

Not very easily, since I don't want to hose the data on my external drive going through the steps. But there's a set of instructions on partitioning in Disk Utility's help menu.

19. x704 macrumors regular

x704

I have a maxtor one touch III 200 gig and formating it was a snap, sorry you didn't know about zeroing the data...

Somebody told me that FAT32 is good for 32gigs regardless of the HD size. He said you could format anysize (100, 200 gig or more) but the only usable space for FAT32 is 32gigs. So what you could do is partition it 3 or 4 times...

Good luck

20. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

I don't understand the concept of "Partitioning"

This is what I did...

Disk Utility > Maxtor HD > Partition > Volume Scheme = 1 Partion (Before there was none) > Format = Mac OS Entended (Journaled) > Hit Partition.

I did that and I'm getting the color wheel again...

21. reh macrumors 6502a

That's wrong. FAT32 supports volume sizes up to 2 terrabytes (2048 gigabytes).

DJMastaWes: Maybe the drive is shot? Under the first aid tab, hit the "Repair Disk" button and see what happens.

22. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

I can't. It wont let me select it (I also tried by bootting the tiger disk.) and the HD worked on my dads computer 3 days ago... and my computer read it 3 days ago, but it was only "readable"

23. reh macrumors 6502a

There's got to be something messed up somewhere. Your mac, your user account, the hard drive, or the hard drive controller. Might try creating a new user account on your mac and see if that helps anyway. But i'm kinda running out of options.

24. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Easy way would be borrow a Win box for 20 minutes.

Can't you use that Acer?

25. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

I reformated my computer, it now runs faster and i jained about 10GB of HD. However the External Harddrive is still giveing problem, it wont format in disk utility. So I brough it to my moms PC and installed the software that came with it. The COMPUTER reads the Hardrive however the software "Restrospect" does not read antyhing. And I don't know where I would have to go to format the harddrive... Help?