Maxtor or LaCie?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yoak, Jan 13, 2005.

1. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I´m about to buy a new firewire drive, 250G. It will be my first and I wonder what to get the; Maxtor or LaCie?
    IS the one touch back up usefull, or just something you pay extra for and don´t really need?

2. maya macrumors 68040

maya

LaCie = Cooler Case.

Maxtor = Better Price.

Then again you can get a Maxtor drive in a LaCie case and some great deals from LaCie as well.

I would go with LaCie. :)

3. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I am ignorant on alot of these issues, but what is wrong with western digital, specifically this one . it is expensive the 250gb runs 290ish, but rated very well.

4. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I got a LaCie d2 200GB hd. Love it. Very simple set up. Just turn computer on, and plug it in. Done.

So yea my vote is for LaCie :)

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I say Lacie.

Usually excellent reliability & solid case... comes with Silverkeeper backup software. We've got a SCSI one at work that is at least 6 years old and it's still working.

Who needs a button when you can set up a schedule from software?
    Button, schmutton...

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    check out wiebetech if you want :) i swear by them :)

7. Norouzi macrumors 6502

I'd go with Lacie, I've got a Lacie D2 CD burner I bought a couple years ago and have never had a problem, also have a Lacie D2 Big Disk 500GB for backup at work that I couldn't be happier with.

8. gangst macrumors 6502a

i use my lacie 200gb extreme disc very intesively and its fast and reliable, personally id buy another lacie

9. mikeyfern macrumors member

I have no experience with Lacie, but my Maxtor died on me. Wouldn't mount, couldn't reformat it, etc... Luckily I had just gotten everything off of it and back on to my hard drive. Almost a total disaster. Maxtor customer support was great, but I certainly would never buy one again. It was a 3000 DV 80 GB model. Someone else I know had the exact same issue with the same model, out of warranty. Oh well.

10. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I would recommend Lacie, the last reviews that I have seen Lacie came out the best performer. I have the 250GB D2 extreme which I have been using for about 6 months, solid and utterly reliable.

11. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Is anyone aware of the downside to the WD media center? of WD external FW drives? I was going to buy one this week, but worked 6 days straight and now home with an A** Kicking cold/sore throat. I would love to know someone heres opinion.

12. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

My LaCie 250GB extreme is a maxtor 250GB 7200 rpm HD inside a LaCie case.
    I would have avoided Western because they used to have the Initio chipset instead of Oxford chipset in the drive, and I'm not sure what chipset they use now.

If a comparable Maxtor is much cheaper than the LaCie, then get it.
    LaCie is known to have very nice mac support..

13. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I just found out they use Initio in the one I was looking at, why is oxford better? or is it that Initio is a problem?

thanks

14. maya macrumors 68040

maya

The Oxford 911 (FireWire 400 bridge) is reliable and dependable then Initio.

The Oxford 922 (FireWire 400/800 bridge) is optimized. :)

15. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

Thanks for your replies.
    Nice to wake to a bunch af replies. I will be shopping around and see what deals I can find. I´m leaning towards the LaCie 250 Extreme.
    Thanks again :)

16. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Look at the OWC Mercury Elites. I have three and have been very impressed. As for LaCie, I have the 500GB Big Disk and will be returning it. Bad sectors. Reformatted and they reappeared after a while. Was using it as my backup drive but when your backup goes bad twice, how can you ever trust it again?