May 4, 1998: The Apple Logo Evolves

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, May 4, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors 68020

Oct 14, 2005
    Well, the current one is cool, but I like a bit of retro every now and then.
  3. macrumors member

Jun 22, 2003
    Mega-City 1, Sector 41
    The old one is very dated - I wonder if they considered keeping the rainbow, but going for the modern, shiny effect?
  4. macrumors member

Jun 19, 2002
    Berkley, MI
    Ironically, the Think Different ad campaign...

...wouldn't have worked nearly as well, visually, if they had abandoned the rainbow version earlier.

What I mean by this is that the whole concept had stark black-and-white posters of famous people contrasted by the full-color rainbow Apple logo in the corner. If the logo had been a solid color (especially black or white itself), it wouldn't have stood out nearly as well.
  5. macrumors regular

Apr 17, 2003
    The current white one is a bit austere. I like the rainbow one, it seems to have a bit more character to it.
  6. macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    I miss the rainbow one, it had a nice double-meaning for some people...
  7. macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Some of them did employ the one colour logo though.
  8. macrumors 6502

I don't think it's the wisest fiscal practice to frequently alter an company logo. The cost of all the store marquees, office billboards, letter-head etc; but the launch of a major new product (line) or ad campaign can certainly be an effective time to update the signature image of the company. Personally, I'm happy with the current logo. I know that others are not, but I don't think there are potential customers out there saying, "Gee, I'd buy a Mac but their logo is so uninspiring."
  9. macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
  10. macrumors 6502a

Sep 13, 2004
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    I miss the rainbow one! It was sort of unique, stood out. The current one is little more pro somehow.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Dec 22, 2004
    Huber Heights, OH
    apple logo

personally, i dont care what kind of logo is stamped on my machine just so long as it runs apple goodness on the inside. but i have to admit, i think i like the modern one better, if they could give it a bit of a 3d feel, i think it might be sweeta.
  12. macrumors 68000

May 15, 2005
    NG9, England
    I think both had their place. A return to the rainbow logo will come one day, but I think a few other changes are on the cards first. There is rarely a standard colour scheme these days, but every year or two, the main colours are changed a little. After several more of these, I think a return to the rainbow logo may one day come. I can but dream.

If Steve Jobs has anything to do with it though, it won't be back for some time, if at all. Even those things he put in place before leaving Apple he has/is slowly removing. I wouldn't hold my breath, but I will look forward to hopefully winning my ebay bid on a Newton and admiring many more products with rainbow apples on them for years to come.