May be a stupid question....

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by SasyBabe, Apr 18, 2003.

1. SasyBabe macrumors member

SasyBabe

I really wanna get a widescreen display for my PC... and they are really expensive to get.... i really like the Mac widescreen displays and i was wondering if there is ANY way of buying something to convert the USB connection to something complatible with a PC??? This is probably a really dumb question but i just perfer the Mac displays and i need to use my PC still.
    I just know i'm gonna hate every other display out there after i begin using my 17" Powerbook when it comes! :D

2. gbojim macrumors 6502

Re: May be a stupid question....

I think you are asking about converting the video signal as opposed to USB. Check out DVIator from Dr. Bott. DVIator allows you to connect a standard DVI out from a computer to ADC in on an Apple display. You can also connect USB in. I have seen these in action - they work great.

If you did mean USB, sorry but I'm not sure exactly what you are asking since USB is the same on a Mac as a PC.

3. acj macrumors 6502

easy but not free

You'll need the DVI to ADC converter for $99 at apple. Macs power their LCDs directly from the computer. This adapter converts the video cable to the right format and also provides power from a wall socket.

You'll also need a video card with DVI out. If you're not into gaming, they're cheap ($70 for a radeon 9000). If you're into gaming, chances are you already have one.

4. Vanteer macrumors newbie

Well, unless I am completely off base, the new Apple Displays are DVI, just with a few more cool items like power, and USB support off the display, which allowed Apple to come up with their own connector, hence the term ADC, for apple display connector.

So all you should need to connect up to your PC to a new Apple Display, is a new PC Video card that supports DVI, (most of the ones from ATI), and then the $100.00 DVI to ADC connector from Apple or even the $79.00 one from www.formac.com

Anyone disagree?

Van

5. acj macrumors 6502

alternatives

If you are getting the 23" display you may consider the PC version from Sony. It works great with the Mac too, has an identical LCD, has TWO DVI inputs, and has a 3 year warrantee. It can be had for $2420 at newegg. That's $320 more than the mac screen and converter, with 3 times longer warantee, and more features. My roommate has one. If you're not a rich bastard and are going for a small monitor, there are fewer options. I'm hopeing formac comes out with wide screens like Apples 20 incher.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Your question wasn't stupid at all, SasyBabe, but in the future it would be more helpful if you posted with a subject such as "How do I use a Mac monitor with a PC?" instead of "May be a stupid question....". That way, more people who know the answer are likely to spot your question and supply you with an answer.

7. SasyBabe thread starter macrumors member

SasyBabe

soo the apple display connector is will work with a PC? I have a 64MB DDR NVIDIA GeFore3 Ti 200 Graphics card with DVI.....video card

How will this work...??

How is this connecting to my PC? if u could help me out alittle...

And are you TOTALLY sure it will work with my PC?

:confused:

Cause i really wanna get it!!! :p

8. patdabiker macrumors newbie

Alienware bundled a 23" Cinema Display with one of their computers a little while ago. It will work as long as you have the adapter, which just splits the usb/power/video signals.

9. Vanteer macrumors newbie

SasyBabe,

If you want to be 100% sure, grab you PC, mouse, and keyboard, head down to the nearest Apple store, be sure to tell them that as long as it all works, they have your business.

Then open up the DVI to ADC kit, plug in one end to the DVI connector on your video card, plug in all the power supplies (your pc and the connector power supply), connect up the other end of the cable to the Apple Monitor, power up everything, then get out your credit card.

Van

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Have you looked at the Formac displays www.formac.com -- they do offer the option of ordering them with different display connectors.

11. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

If you're going to get a 23" then...

Then why not get Virtual PC? That way you don't have to worry about compatabilities... AND you can run your 23" with your powerbook G4. :D

12. SasyBabe thread starter macrumors member

SasyBabe

Re: If you're going to get a 23" then...

Good idea!! But isnt there errors involved with virtual PC?? I saw errors occurring when i was in the Apple store. :(

Vanteer- I wish they would let me do that in the store... i totally would buy it afterwards!!!! :D

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: Re: If you're going to get a 23" then...

Well I don't think there's much that won't work with VPC-- tho you can't run games, it doesn't use your actual display adaptor. RealPC (i think) will have this feature soon. Plus, VPC is slow. But since you can do anything on a Mac you can on PC, why would you even need to use VPC often?

pnw