May be the end of life as we know it...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chip NoVaMac, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

A few articles recently have led me to wonder we are going, both as a US society and a world society.

The latest is about the CARE worker:

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/st...20041116/1232937778.htm&photoid=20041022NY125

The other is from the day before about the Marine and the "execution".

IMO the worst is Margaret Hassan's execution. From what I have heard her life was devoted to providing to the Iraqi people. The whole story on those Iraqi's that the Marine came across is questionable under the "eyes of God", something GWB should understand.

I do not condone, but can understand the actions of "insurgents". They have been forgotten by maybe the "greed" of the world. They and "terrorists" that have no standing army, do what they can, to affect public opinion. The opinion can be both positive and negative in any of the "warring" parties.

I was taught that the "resistance" fighters from France were Patriots that deserved our admiration. While they targets "military" installations, we have moved on to a point that I am sad to say that the military personnel mean little in "global politics". I say that with a heavy heart, given that my Dad served in WWII and Korea. WWII is not something that IMO dispute. Korea on the other hand can be looked upon as the beginning of the end.

In looking at "civilian" verses "military" targets that "insurgents or terrorists" target. The "opposition" does need to strike at the "hearts" of the people they are trying effect. To me it is the difference of trying to defend yourself against rifles against your bow and arrow.

In my world, I wonder if we were to give the Palestinians equal fire power against the the Israelis, I wonder what Peace might have been.

2. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

What gives with this thread?

There were multiple posts, but now there is only my original post.

I evidently made an error in this "edited" post as to the Marine that killed an "unarmed" "insurgent". Not sure how to take this. It can be positive or negative. I admitted my mistake in my original post, but many of the following comments indicates to me the nature of discussion here.

Particularly with the new rules here, "flaming" posts by those of us that may be new here is minimal.

I had looked forwarded to those that "cast the first" stone to have defended themselves against my "intended" comments". Many of whom should have known better IMO.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think the all of the posts you are referring to were made in good natured fun at the 'empty' post. None were malicious in my opinion, but I'm sorry if they struck a nerve with you, mine included. I apologize if I was insensitive.

"Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can"
    Elsa Maxwell

I assume the mods struck all of the extra-curricular posts to focus on your original intent in the post that began as a non-post.

These posts might get removed too :rolleyes:

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

These things have been going on since time immemorial. Our mistake is in believing that anything has changed. Every single morning is a new day. Isaac Newton may have been standing on the shoulders of giants, but most of the rest of us make the same mistakes and the same judgments time after time, as if history did not exist and the horizon was a fixed place.

5. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

I just cleaned it up - everything prior to your (now) first post was relevant to there being nothing in the initial thread. So to leave it there was just confusing - sorry... thought I'd try and give your topic a chance, now that it's there.

6. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I've only just started hearing and reading about the marine who shot the Iraqi insurgent, so I'm not sure what to think about that yet.

I think the thing that especially bothers me about Margaret Hassan's execution is that, as noted in the news article you linked, she had devoted her life to helping the Iraqis. While it's quite possible that her kidnappers didn't know who she was at the time they kidnapped her, they certainly knew it once the story hit the news. There was no mistaking her for a member of the military; they knew that this woman had lived in Baghdad for thirty years, was herself an Iraqi citizen, and had provided aid to who-knows-how-many Iraqi people.

7. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Seriously tragic. I was hoping that Hassan hadn't been murdered. :(

9. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I guess I was sensitive on the issue in that i immediately posted my response (as an edit) as soon as I realized my error. I amy be different from others here, in that I take some in in my response (both in terms of content and thought).

In some ways i posted responses to poke fun at those that were "quick" to jump on my error.... I was just surprised at how quickly some responded to my error.

10. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Every 50 years or so, we have a big conflict. It's been nearly 100 years since the "War to end all wars" was fought. After that WW2 looked as though it would have a more significant change on how things are accomplished.

But both of those wars are just memories to most people who are too young to really know what happened.

It seems as this country is spoiling for a fight right now and lots of young Marines are ready to go and conquer and kill.

War is one of the three things that keeps the population down though right?

Religion helps the population grow?

That sounds kind flippant but with the attitude of the nation, it looks as though we are headed that way. It will probably stay that way until we are threatened at home, or the economy is destroyed. "I told you so" won't even be worth saying at that point.