Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samanthajane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
I'm considering buying an ATV for Christmas but feeling hesitant after doing research.
The biggest CON is I live in Canada. Netflix is awful here. Crap selection.

i would definitely be less reluctant if Plex worked on the current jailbreak but that doesn't seem possible right now.

Basically we are mostly interested in newly released tv shows and movies. There appears to be very few options for us through ATV though.

Any other ATV users out there from Canada? Or even users from anywhere else that can offer some opinion?

Thanks!

PS I have looked through this board for similar threads and couldn't find many helpful ones. So don't give me a hard time about asking please!

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Plex works fine with the current untethered jailbreak but you loose iCloud support which is not a big deal since with plex you need your pc running so you can just use home sharing for the same content. Also plex for iOS has AirPlay so if you have sn iOS device you can AirPlay plex content to an unbroken apple tv with no problem.

I am japan now do talk about lack of content!!! I use my iPhone to stream tons of media to my apple tv from plex, websites, iTunes and more. Love it. My main complaint is Hulu which is available here has no AirPlay option utter bs IMHO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.