may need a mac mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by clevin, Oct 15, 2006.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

My Macbook begin to RSS, and I really need a stable mac, local microcenter has core solo mac mini for $549. so my question is: how much performance gain from core solo to core duo for normal work, like internet, java based program, MS office, etc.

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Don't pay $549 for a core solo. Apple sells the Core Duo 1.66 for $599.. and $549 if you qualify for the edu discount at all.

If you find the core solo will suit your needs, then try finding one second hand for a bunch cheaper.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

A Mac Mini with the 1.5GHz Core Solo would be okay for your needs, but if you can, go with a Mac Mini with a Core Duo processor. The marginal difference in price is easily outweighed by the added performance from having a dual-core processor. :)

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

You might want to keep an eye on Apple's refurb page. Core solos with 512mb/60gb/combo sell for under $500.

5. nightelf macrumors 6502

What about an iMac? You can get an iMac 17" Combo Drive for USD 925 at Amazon (with discount), or the SuperDrive version for USD 1125. So don't have to worry about the screen, and also get iSight.

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

out of interest, have you called Apple about your RSS? They can fix you up with a new heatsink/logic board for free. Then you won't have to spend money getting a Mac Mini, display, keyboard and mouse.

7. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

If you are having RSS troubles, you need to get it taken care of while you're still
    under warranty.

A mini would be a great back-up system, but I would go for a refurb Core Duo
    before even considering a core solo.