Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
Of all purchases of Alias|Wavefront's 3D software package Maya, 25% of it came from Apple users nationwide.

click me

As an avid Maya user, I find this very encouraging to see. It nice to know Maya on the Mac isnt going anywhere anytime soon....just cant wait to get my hands on a G5 and really take Maya for a spin!

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Maya is pretty cool if you have a fast machine, I couldn't stand using it on my Athalon XP1600, it was too slow. Can't wait to try it on my 2gig dualie G5 when it comes in.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
yeah, i'd seen that...

couple issues...

1. no unlimited version yet... now, of course, a lot of studios don't have all their machines using unlimited, so they could have some unlimited pcs and some complete macs... but that doesn't seem likely

2. pro video cards... sure, they are apparently compatible with the g5, but how about the companies writing drivers for them?

don't get me wrong though, i'm going to get a dual 2ghz for exactly this (maya)

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
here's a question... does maya 5 for os x have mental ray included? and if not, can you download it for free like you could with 4.5... i know 5 for pc has it in there, can't find it on the mac...

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
At work, I use a dual 2gHz Xeon w/ a 128MB Nvidia card and Maya 4.5 runs GREAT. At home, I use my 1gHz Tibook, (64MB vid card)and it runs sufficiently. (in fact, just a touch slower interface-wise, but its quite slower rendering.) I used to use it on my 550TiBook, and that was torture.

I would guess that Unlimited is coming for the mac pretty soon. Ive actually never gotten into hair or liquid in Maya. Never had it to play with really.

I would assume that mental ray isnt available at all for OSX yet. Hopefully soon.

About the G5........Im so jealous you're getting one. BUT, I have the computers at work at my disposal, but having a G5 at home would be heaven...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.