Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jade44V

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2005
I just went through a Maya training class at work. I have a PowerMac G5 dual 2.5 at work, and I use it for After Effects work and eventually for Maya work also.

The thing is this. All I have at home is a crappy little HP laptop that was never spec'd out for graphics work - it's a thin little laptop with Centrino and 256 RAM.

I'm dying to get my hands on Tiger, which we don't have yet at work, and I need a computer to tinker with Maya on at home (I don't have the $$$ for a PM right now and don't want to limit myself for future expandability by buying an iMac).

So, I'm thinking about just buying a little Mac Mini for now to run tiger and iPhoto and iMovie and practice some modeling in Maya. I already have a monitor and I'll scrounge a keyboard.

Think I can get away with this? Maya 6.5 Learning Edition on a Mac Mini, until I can afford the PM I want? I know I can't expect to do any serious animation on it but for what I just described - sounds ok, right?

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
i've tinkered with a little Maya on my 1.5Ghz PowerBook. its not too bad, a little choppy, but it works. My friend is able to run Maya pretty decently on his 1Ghz PowerMac... I would think a MacMini should be able to run it, though it will get a little choppy.

SLCentral

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2004
Princeton, NJ/Ithaca, NY
I work for a couple hours each day on a Powerbook 1.67GHz 15" and a Apple 30" LCD with no noticeable slowdowns. It takes a while to load up (I assume that b/c I have just 512MB), but once I'm in it and working, its fine.

asim84

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
Help!

I dont know if anyone can help, but i need a serial number for maya 6.5, does anyone know i can get one? i recently came across the package and want to learn it as part of my design work. help please!

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
asim84 said:
I dont know if anyone can help, but i need a serial number for maya 6.5, does anyone know i can get one? i recently came across the package and want to learn it as part of my design work. help please!

buy it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.