Maya on a Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jade44V, May 8, 2005.

1. jade44V macrumors newbie

I just went through a Maya training class at work. I have a PowerMac G5 dual 2.5 at work, and I use it for After Effects work and eventually for Maya work also.

The thing is this. All I have at home is a crappy little HP laptop that was never spec'd out for graphics work - it's a thin little laptop with Centrino and 256 RAM.

I'm dying to get my hands on Tiger, which we don't have yet at work, and I need a computer to tinker with Maya on at home (I don't have the $$$ for a PM right now and don't want to limit myself for future expandability by buying an iMac).

So, I'm thinking about just buying a little Mac Mini for now to run tiger and iPhoto and iMovie and practice some modeling in Maya. I already have a monitor and I'll scrounge a keyboard.

Think I can get away with this? Maya 6.5 Learning Edition on a Mac Mini, until I can afford the PM I want? I know I can't expect to do any serious animation on it but for what I just described - sounds ok, right?

2. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

i've tinkered with a little Maya on my 1.5Ghz PowerBook. its not too bad, a little choppy, but it works. My friend is able to run Maya pretty decently on his 1Ghz PowerMac... I would think a MacMini should be able to run it, though it will get a little choppy.

3. SLCentral macrumors regular

I work for a couple hours each day on a Powerbook 1.67GHz 15" and a Apple 30" LCD with no noticeable slowdowns. It takes a while to load up (I assume that b/c I have just 512MB), but once I'm in it and working, its fine.

4. asim84 macrumors newbie

Help!

I dont know if anyone can help, but i need a serial number for maya 6.5, does anyone know i can get one? i recently came across the package and want to learn it as part of my design work. help please!

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

buy it?

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

7. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

Mac Mini with 1GB RAM should be able to good stuff in Maya.