Maya PLE

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by diorio, Dec 29, 2002.

1. diorio macrumors 6502a

Anyone have experience with Maya PLE (personal learning editon)? It is Maya Complete only for personal use. I admit, I know nothing about animation, but soon with be getting some kind of new computer, and Maya PLE ($20) www.aliaswavefront.com Maya Complete cost $2000, and is a bit out of my range at this time. Any advice/information on animation software/colleges with this as a degree, would be helpful.

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Maya PLE 3.5 was free just a few months ago... mayeb you can find it for download somewhere?

I had downloaded it, but I just couldn't figure anything out, and then I realised I didn't even need it, so I just trashed it...

irmongoose

3. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maya PLE 4.5 will be available for download in January from aliaswavefront.com. You can also buy it know on alias wave front for $20, and it comes with a DVD to help too.

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

Maya PLE should be fine for you. i'm prolly gonna get it as soon as it's availaible for download, but i'm thinking of buying it and getting the DVD as well. all the tutorials and stuff will be alot of help especially when you are just learing it.

5. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Hey, didn't the PLE version put a watermark on all the graphics you make? Well, I guess it's good for learning how to use Maya, but you can't make anything without the watermark, can you?

irmongoose

6. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yeah, you've got the watermarks on the image and also the screens that you work on.

but if you're interested in learning 3D then Maya PLE is the way to go.

watermarks are really a small price to pay when you consider that PLE is virtually a fully featured version of Maya Complele.

7. thedude macrumors member

maya ple

maya's a great program! The learning curve is a little daunting, but don't give up! As far as the PLE goes, it's fully functional, but you should check the qual charts on AW's site.

- Make sure that you have the right graphics card and osX version.
    - I would wait for the 4.5 PLE, 3.5 from what I hear isn't very stable and has lots of bugs.
    - You should also consider too, that you can't take a PLE file and open it with a full version of maya. That way you can't render the stuff on another machine running complete or unlimited.
    - I don't know if you can use mental ray with the PLE, so you might want to check that too.

Great choice in programs! But remember it isn't the program or the computer, it's the person using them!

Post again if you have any questions! Good Luck!:)

8. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Re: maya ple

What graphic card would you recommend? Hopefully I'll be able to experiment with PLE and figure it out.

9. thedude macrumors member

Graphics cards

Well, You have to pick your poison. Most of the cards for osX have some bugs, and that isn't all that uncommon even among high end cards like the wildcat and to a lesser extent, the Quadro's. I would check out the aw site at

http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Community/Support/qualified_hardware/QUAL/maya_45_osx.html

Some of the cards don't render Hardware Particles at all, which is kind of a drag. I would probably avoid those if you want to do any effects. But most of the cards have similar problems, so it really depends on how much you want to spend. Sadly, the card selection for osX is piss poor. Oh well...

Check it out and you might want to check out a couple other sites for info.

chchannel.com
    cgtalk.com
    raph.com
    highend3d.com
    gnomon3d.com

Try picking up a cinefex mag at the bookstore for research. They're hard to find, but interesting reads, (usually).

Let me know how the PLE works out!

10. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Re: Graphics cards

Thanks for the info. I'm registered at cgtalk, and have been on gnomon 3D.com. I'll check out the others.

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

I tried version 3.5 as well, and wasn't too happy with the tryout.

For basic 3D, I've been using some crap 3D program from over at www.strata.com (Strata 3D Base 3.5), which is freeware, but naggy for registration, and works for OS 9/Classic. It also has a tough learning curve, but I think you are better off with Maya PLE.