Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickknocker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
but i dont want any stupid answers :p

when will iLife '06 be standard on new iBooks instead of just iLife '05? It's probably not that huge of a difference since i might never use iWeb, but I'd still like to know...

oh and sorry if this is covered somewhere else, i searched... but im a lazy searcher haha

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
You'd think they would include it now, but I guess that is not the case. Expect iLife '06 to be bundled with the MacBook (aka Intel iBook) when it is released. As for being different, I haven't used iLife '06 yet, but from what I have seen it is a big upgrade over '05, especially in the iPhoto and iDVD departments. Full screen editing in iPhoto and widescreen menus in iDVD are big upgrades for me.

Edit: Ah, so it is included. Apple needs to update the official iBook page then.

cnakeitaro

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Virginia Beach
nickknocker said:

when will iLife '06 be standard on new iBooks instead of just iLife '05? It's probably not that huge of a difference since i might never use iWeb, but I'd still like to know...

oh and sorry if this is covered somewhere else, i searched... but im a lazy searcher haha

iLife comes standard with all iBooks. Although all current iBook G4's ship with iLife'05, all the new iBooks will come with iLife'06. Although if you buy a iBook G4 you can update to the next version of iLife for $9.95.

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
The new powerbooks in the apple store come with iLife 06' too. I had purchased a 12" 1.5 Ghz Powerbook for my aunt. I took it home so I can charge it up and have it all set up for her when she stopped by to pick it up, and when I opened the box, iLife 06' was bundled in the software discs. So, it's not just limited to the iBooks. maybe they are included in all the machines at the apple store...

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Clear this up...

As soon as an upgrade to bundled software is released, all the Macs sold on or after that day will at LEAST receive a stand alone copy of the program. All Macs MANUFACTURED after that date will come with the updated software preloaded.

Make sense?

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
appleretailguy said:
As soon as an upgrade to bundled software is released, all the Macs sold on or after that day will at LEAST receive a stand alone copy of the program. All Macs MANUFACTURED after that date will come with the updated software preloaded.

Make sense?
Not really... the "receive" should be "will be able to buy a cheap version of"

http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/
They make you pay.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
CanadaRAM said:
iLife comes in the box with iMac Intels that are shipping now.

True, but inside the Mac. There is not a separate iLife disk. It is all part of the bundled software, so evidently iLife '06 was finished, when they began boxing the new iMacs. :)

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
redeye be said:

They make you pay.

I didn't have to pay when I bought my Power Mac G5 and it didn't come with iLife '05 because it was old stock. The up-to-date program had even expired by the time I bought it. I called Apple up and they sent me a full-retail boxed version of iLife '05 at no charge.

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
My Mac Mini (arrived yesterday - my first Mac - yay!) came with iLife '05 *and* '06. '05 was already installed, '06 came on DVD along with a paper manual.

I ordered the mini the Thursday after Steve's keynote address.

I'd say, therefore, that iLife '06 is already standard and has been for two weeks.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
True, but...

redeye be said:

They make you pay.

Usually only third party retailers do not have the iLife '06 discs in stock right away. Every time an installed app has been upgraded, the Apple Stores I have worked at included the upgrade disc.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
nickknocker said:
Then are you in the wrong place. :p Seriously though, why do you ask? If you are planning on buying a new iBook directly from the Apple Store, it will have '06 included. If you buy from somewhere else, it may or may not depending on when it was shipped out from the factory. If it doesn't, you can contact Apple and they will usually charge you shipping and handling to send you the new disks.

And yes, this has been covered here before. Many a time. Many.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.