Maybe faulty Wii - Can someone test something for me?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Spanky Deluxe, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Ok, my Wii's not turning on. I brought it back up to Uni today and its not making a peep, no sound, no lights, no spinning, no nothing. Its as if its not receiving any power. I'm hoping (praying) that its only a faulty PSU since its acting as if it receives no power. I've tried measuring the voltage of the PSU with a multimeter and it reads zero but sometimes reading power supplies that aren't being used doesn't work too good.
    Could someone who is not using their Wii right now disconnect their Wii from the power supply unit but leave the power supply plugged into the wall and then after a while could you feel the PSU to see if its warm at all or have a listen to see if it makes any noise. Mine right now is cold and silent.
    I really hope its not my Wii that's at fault, I really don't want to lose 20 hours of Zelda gameplay and about 25 Miis and Wii Sports progress. That would suck hard.

2. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Mine is in use, but I can say from general experience that a power brick that's plugged into an outlet, even if not connected to the device, should be warm. Just tested this on my external HDD brick to be sure.

Since you're surely under warranty, I'd just email Nintendo and tell them this. They'll probably send you a replacement PSU, and tell you to contact them again for console repair if that doesn't work.

3. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Yeah that's what I'm hoping. I'll call them up tomorrow. Most power supplies do tend to be warm even when not in use so here's hoping. Damn I wish there was an option on the Wii to automatically save all files to both the built in memory and the SD card. :(

4. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

My Wii has been idle for probably 1 day and the power brick is warm. Good luck, hope its just the brick that is out.

Ed

5. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I just check the PSU of the Wii I have with a multimeter. It read 12V which is the rating on the casing. I say your PSU is bad.

6. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Awesome, cheers for doing that. I'll tell them I checked the PSU with a multimeter and that its faulty. I don't know how their support processes work in the EU but I would much rather they replace my PSU than my Wii!!

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

When I got my Nintendo Wii replaced it was just the Wii unit itself and that's what they sent me (just the Wii unit itself). I assume that they do the same for the other components, although if I didn't get it replaced during the Christmas season they would've charaged me $5 US for the shipping of the unit. So from my understanding you will get to keep your data, but this is in the US, hopefully it works the same for you.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

9. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

you should be able to get a erplacement brick..

has anyone else at uni got a wii? try their brick?

now you;re gonna get a crap score on wii fitness cos you're not playing it regularly :p

10. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

If you can test your wii with another power supply and it powers up they will send you a new one, I know I had a bad PS. Tracked down another guy with a wii plugged it in, powered up. Called Nintendo and they 2 dayed me a new one.