Maybe has been asked before

Discussion in 'Games' started by iBert, Jul 22, 2004.

1. iBert macrumors regular

Jul 14, 2004
    Can you guys tell me of a good site to buy video cards for a G5? Just bought a G5 dual 2.0GHz and will upgrade that in the future. After i pay must of my credit card off. Also, what video cards would you guys recommend? Will do some gaming but not excesively, will do some video editing but I'll be using iMovie. Will be doing a bit of OpenGL and some visualization programming since thats is what I'll be doing for the next year, hope fully. :confused:

Thanks for the help you guys can provide. Just to mention.

Turn to a Mac fan Recently, so new to the forums and the community. hope to be here for the longest time.

PS. The G5 I bought comes with a 9600 Pro.
  2. Dr. Pookey macrumors newbie

Dr. Pookey

Apr 22, 2004
    Emo Central, USA
    #2 is a good website for discount somputer stuff
  3. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Feb 6, 2004
    If you are looking for a video card upgrade, right now you have three choices:

1) ebay -where you might find someone selling a 9800XT for the mac (doubtful)

2) -the cheapest place to buy the 9800 pro se.

3) -which is taking preorders for the nVIDIA 6800 Ultra

Really, your only options are 2 & 3. People are impressively stupid on ebay. Last week i saw a 9800 pro se sell for over 400 bucks(+shipping)... when you can buy it brand new for 335 from with free shipping and a new user discout of 15 bucks. If you aren't into gaming much, but are looking for something better than that 9600 pro, i'd buy the 9800 se. They still have the regular 9800pro retail, but it requires jimmy-rigging in the G5, and is more designed for the G4 desktops. If you just want to take out one card and put in another, the 9800pro se mac edition is the card for you.

But, you did mention video editing etc... So, depending on how hard core you are at that stuff, I would recommend the 6800 ultra from the apple store. The upcoming version of os x.4 will take advantage of the GPU, and the 6800 has a built-in video encoder... so the chip will encode your stuff instead of ur processor(s).

Lastly, if you are just looking for one site to find everything, and don't care about saving bucks, just hit up or whatever... but they won't have the 6800 ultra.

Anyway, yeah... i am rambling on and on.

Oh, and welcome to the mac community! I myself have been converted. :D
  4. benpatient macrumors 68000

Nov 4, 2003
    newegg doesn't have mac graphics cards, as far as i know.

as to the choices for graphics basically have one upgrade option 3rd party...the Radeon 9800 Pro Mac SE.

it costs too much and it's slightly under-clocked from the PC version, but it has a (now worthless) ADC port and will fit in your G5.

There aren't a lot of non-BTO options at all. There aren't a lot of BTO options, either, for that matter.

Did you get the 9600 or the XT in your machine? I guess I'm asking if you got one of the first round of G5s, or one of the ones that is now being sold, as part of the all-dual lineup?

If you got a 9600XT, then there is no point in going to the 9800 will be an upgrade, but not worth the cost difference. if you have the 5200 "ultra" then you would see a huge difference between that and the 9800 Pro with regards to games that use 3d...otherwise you won't see a difference.
  5. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Go buy the SE or hunt down a Mac version of the 9800 XT on You might be able to find a 9700 Pro, but those are very rare, and that is, if it's a jump from the 9600 XT.

If you need some extra power from that 9600XT, perhaps the Radeon Enabler could overclock your card a little?
  6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Why do you need a more powerful card than the 9600 Pro? That card will be able to run even Doom3. I don't think you are really in the posistion to be needing a new video card, which is a waste of money now. The 9800 Pro will only give you a small increase in speed over the 9600 for most of today's games. Anything else will run 100% perfectly on a 9600 Pro.
  7. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    You sure? From the benchmarks I remember, on the Mac, a 9800 Pro made a world of a difference when it came to UT2K4 and Halo.

Just checked, it looks like a 9800 Pro is about 2x faster than a 9600 Pro with those two games.
  8. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Feb 6, 2004
    Dude, I BTO'd my powermac with the 9600pro, and it sucks. It leaves me WANTING in every game i've played with the exception of unreal tournament 2003/2004 and AVP2. Every other new game has to have the settings turned down. I agree that this dude may not entirely need something better because he's not a gamer, but that 9600pro is seriously disappointing.