Maybe I can eat at Geno's

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Jun 9, 2006.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I just read this article talking about how Geno's in Philadelphia has posted a sign telling people to order their food in English. He's getting a bit of backlash, which I don't get.

I have always favored Pat's, and refused for ages to go to Geno's. But, I may have to consider amending that policy for one trip just to show my support.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'd be tempted to go in there just to order in Italian.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Pat's is better anyway.

Cheese Wiz with, please.

4. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Meh. You'll still get the sandwich. The sign is more like strong encouragement rather than absolute law. That's why I can't figure out who people are upset by this.

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

God do i love this country

With all the times i Have been to europe and not seeing national pride with signs saying "speak your order in german/italian/french/english/whatever national language there was"

It feels nice to be in my own country and see people trying to tell people to speak in only one language.

Especially considering that currently the US as a whole doesn't have a national language

and more to the point Pennsylvania doesn't have english as the official language

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Have you been to France? ;)

7. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Racist? Are you kidding?

Jesus Christ people get upset over the stupidest things. It is a sign, and he clearly stated that you would not be denied service. :rolleyes:

8. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

I'm a Pat's Fan Myself

I was discussing this w/ my buddy this morning: Provolone w/. Thanks.

As for Geno's, if the owner wants it that way, it's his damn restaurant. I never went there before, and I'm not going to start. He can set whatever policy he wants. If the owner chooses a policy of exclusion he may alienate customers enough to go out of business.

FWIW, I can remember being w/ my grandfather in lower Manhattan in the early 80's and passing signs that said, "WOP's need not apply." Perhaps a man in his 60's w/ many such experiences during his life, is not so inclined to simply adapt to another language when his culture was forcibly marginalized.

I notice too, that the people on here are expectant that the rules of MR are followed, and I don't see those rules posted in Spanish or any other non-english language. And that in no way makes Arn or anybody else affiliated w/ this site a racist. At the same time it does limit access to the info discussed in these forums to ppl who speak English and ppl who know how to get the computer to translate for them. And the ranking system here certainly rewards people who adapt to the system as it exists. It doesn't exclude critics at all (that I have seen), but it does reward people who adapt to the system.

I guess my point is this, while I don't support a policy like the one @ Geno's. I don't think it's nearly as simple an issue as mnay people make it out to be.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Meh, yourself. I'm not upset, just observing that there will always be people who are prepared to make immigrants feel unwelcome. I am simply pausing to consider the irony. Others may wish to as well.

10. calculus Guest

calculus

What exactly would you be supporting?

11. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

yes i have. They are not as bad as other American's make them out to be. I enjoyed the people there. However Paris was dirtier than NYC and that just sickened me.

12. iGary Guest

iGary

13. ManchesterTrix macrumors 6502

Granted, It's been 15 years, but when I was in France, outside of Paris, if you didn't speak French or wern't with a tour-group, you were screwed.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I wonder what would happen if I had a business and I posted a sign that said 'No Christians - All orders must contain a curse against God'. Then I said that really I wouldn't actually refuse service to a Christian, I just want them to know that they're not welcome here.

I bet a lot of the folks supporting Geno's would get totally offended, perhaps even consider it a sign of intolerance and bigotry against them. You can bet that the likes of Limbaugh and Coulter and Hannity and O'Reilly would be denouncing the 'attack on Christians'. Funny, but I don't hear them denouncing the 'attack on immigrants'.

Not that Geno's shouldn't be able (legally) to put up their sign -- but it's just another example of the types of intolerance Americans find acceptable versus those they don't.

15. iGary Guest

iGary

"No Fags" would be interesting.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So when you order a cheesesteak in Philly, the custom is to say "Provolone with," or "Swiss with" or whatever? Maybe I need to take English classes! What are the other fine points of how to order one? :) And does any place there make a decent vegetarian one? :eek: :eek:

17. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Ok...in summary.

1) I'd be going to support their right to ask that people speak english when they order. Me personally, I can handle spanish because I speak it. But, if I worked there and someone came up to me and ordered in french or german, I'd just stare at them. When your base language is english, service providers shouldn't be expected to offer service in another language.

2) I agree Pat's is better - I'd say the best in the US (And like Gary - Cheez wit). That's why if I actually can convince myself to do it, I may make just this one time exception. But, they'll have to get more flack first. Right now, it wouldn't be a statement trip.

3) I remember being in Paris three years ago. I did a whirlwind tour of Europe. I noticed that every other country I went to, when I looked puzzled, someone was kind of to ask if they could help me. In Paris, only one person did that. And she was a prostitute. And she wasn't offering the kind of help that I needed.

4) I think the difference between banning Christians and telling people to speak English is something very different. One is targeting a specific group (I suppose you could say "No Religion types," but then I still wonder what religion has to do with processing a commercial transaction). Additionally, regarding ordering in english, there is no requirement that you abandon your native tongue. Just order in english. You can be an immigrant and speak english. You can do both. I don't think you can be a Christian or gay and not be. But that is irrelevant to the stream of commerce.

18. iGary Guest

iGary

You'd get thrown out of Pat's for ordering a Swiss with.

"How to order a Steak"

Step 1
    Specify if you want your steak with (wit) or without (wit-out) onions.
    (If you're not a rookie this should come naturally)

Step 2
    Specify Plain, Cheez Whiz, Provolone, American Cheese or a Pizza Steak
    (We have lettuce and tomatoes) / (If we have to read your mind it's 50 cents extra)

Step 3
    Have your money ready.
    (Do all of your borrowing in line)

Step 4
    Practice all of the above while waiting in line.
    (If you make a mistake, don't panic, just go to the back of the line and start over)

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oooh, thank you! :)

The Jimmy John's sub chain has a sign with almost the exact same text (but I guess more for their subs). I wonder if that's where they stole it from. :eek:

And, erm, Provolone with is sounding good to me. :eek:

We ate at Morimoto's restaurant the last time I went to Philly, so sadly, no steak sandwiches.... :(

20. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

And just to clarify, IIRC there is a big sign posting these instructions before you get to the order counter so rookies will know how it's done. :D

21. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Oh, I forgot to mention - when I go overseas, I make an effort to order in the native language there (but, if locals use a different - usually english - term, then I follow it)

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You mean a bun filled with grilled onions (and perhaps cheese whiz)? :p

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

If Geno's place is pro-actively turning away a specific subset of customers I'd wager that they're doing it because;
    (a) those customers make up a minority of clientele.
    (b) they think it'll attract more customers by that stance (seems to have worked on nbs2).
    Assuming this place is not consistently worked to capacity I'll be cynical and guess this is a cheap and easy way to cash in on the current political rhetoric.

24. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Thanks, iGary! You have just helped us decide how we are going to celebrate the hubby finishing the Bar exam next month. Mmmmmm....