Maybe I'm making a mistake?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by interlaced, May 2, 2006.

1. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

I have a 12" 1.5 Powerbook that I love.
    I don't love my MBP as much.

It could be a total powerhouse but to me, it doesn't really feel that way. I maxed out the RAM but the program I use the most is not universal. I just don't notice any real speed increase with my MBP and I love the fact that I can plop down in bed, on the couch, in the bathroom (LOL) or pretty much anywhere with my 12".

I thought since I'm starting film school soon majoring in Film Production, the Macbook would be a good investment but it's not really the case. I have a 20" Dell widescreen (which I am trying to sell in another thread but now I'm not sure if I should) that works great with the 12". The school uses Avid so my Final Cut program probably won't be used much on our assignments.

Anyway, I'm thinking of selling my MBP. Do you guys think this is a good idea? I would rather pocket the money for now and use it on something better in the future. I'd like to hear some thoughts! Thanks :D

2. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

maybe sell and wait for a widescreen 13.x macbook [pro?]
    get the best of both worlds:)

3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Well, if you're using Avid primarily and it isn't universal...then yes, selling the MBP and pocketing the cash (or putting a down payment on a RED camera) is a good idea. I use Avid and Final Cut, Avid on a Power Mac and FCP on both the Power Mac and a MBP. FCP is fast...DAMN fast. I don't know that Avid is going to be so lucky. Keep the 20" and 12" PB if you're using a non-UB NLE app.

EDIT: I use my laptop in the bathroom too...LOL

4. interlaced thread starter macrumors 6502a

interlaced

I didn't know that Avid could be used on Macs too. I thought that FCP was the main program.

BTW, the course I'm taking is really intense and time consuming and the quote in your sig is exactly what our professors and advisors told us on our first day.

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Well it depends on what flavor of Avid you're using. XpressDV, and even an Avid Adrenaline can be used on Macs. I use an Adrenaline on a G5 Power Mac. The higher end Avids such as the Avid DS suite (about $300,000) and the Avid Symphony suites are PC only as far as I know...

PS: Yeah, it's a quote I learned to love as an editor and filmmaker.

6. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The audio guys are having the same problem waiting for Universal Binary
    Applications to come out, but when they do, they'll have the right machine.

Real portability is a whole different ballgame.

I've taken my daughter's iBook a few places and I can't imagine hauling anything larger.

It may not be anywhere near as fast as my G5, but it really is handy.

I would have kept the 12" PowerBook and bought an iMac for heavy projects.

7. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Yeah, Pro Tools won't be Intel native until the end of this month.

8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Selling the MacBook Pro would probably be a bad idea. You'd lose money on it, and the MBP really is WAY faster than the PowerBook.

9. interlaced thread starter macrumors 6502a

interlaced

I don't mind losing little bit. And as stated in the original post, I do not notice any speed difference with the apps that I use. Also, I think there are just too many bugs for it to be considered reliable. I've had it in and out of repair too many times.

10. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

11. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Final Cut 6 and Extreme should be out shortly.

If you do sell your MBP, then hopefully you'll be able to hang on to the funds
    and be ready to grab a Merom or Conroe based Machine.

If you do start serious editing, then you're probably going to want a new tower with tons of RAM, speed and HD space.

12. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Sell it. If you prefer your Powerbook to your MacBook Pro it wouldn't really make any sense to keep it around.

13. brikeh macrumors 6502a

brikeh

14. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

There is no evidence to support a new version of FCP coming out shortly. If it was going to be released any time in the near future. It would have been demoed at NAB where it always is. I have a feeling we're looking at August at the EARLIEST and probably January.

As for serious editing, if you read the original post, the OP is likely going to be using Avid. again, it depends on if Avid is native or not. Right now all guesses point to mid-2006, but that's just the plan, not a concrete date. So in this sense a Merom or Conroe based machine does absolutely nothing for the original poster since Yonah obviously doesn't. Sell the MBP or get a refund for the MBP since it's been causing you problems, keep you PB since you seem to have no problems with it technically or personally and see what NLE you'll end up using down the road. If it's FCP, pick up an Intel Mac when you're ready. If it's Avid and it's Universal...same thing.

15. DMPDX macrumors 6502

I love how you can "plop down into bed, with your 12"" Haha, Just a joke.
    I actually like a lot of portability. But you wouldnt want to get rid of your 12" and your mbp would you? (one or the other?)
    -dsm

16. interlaced thread starter macrumors 6502a

interlaced

I don't plan on getting rid of both of them right now. I want to keep the 12" and wait for more universal apps to come out.

17. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

It's not a mistake if what you're doing suits your needs. The MBP is (probably) a great machine, but it isn't for everyone. I think having the iSight built in without a customized option to leave it out is a big mistake. I conduct research in a local research facility and NO cameras on any devices are allowed. Thanks Apple... :rolleyes:

Just to put my 2 cents worth in about portability... I ended up getting a 17" PB G4 (last version). Great machine. I actually find it pretty portable. I have just about every form factor of PC laptop or handheld PC, PDA, etc. out there, including a 12" tablet, and the odd thing is that the 17" is so big, it's ironically pretty easy to use on the run. The screen is large enough for me to use on the go and to see comfortably everything I need to see without cycling through Expose, and it's so damn wide that it straddles my lap really easily. But of course, a 12" PB is nice and portable because of its sheer compactness.

18. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

19. plarusa macrumors member

Interesting.. I too purchased a MBP to replace my 12" PB., but I still use the PB most of the time. The MBP is fast and has a nice big screen, but is not as portable and consumes to much power. Even worse, some of the programs I use are still not universal, and many of the Fink packages I need do not even compile on the MBP. So for now, the PB remains my most trusted computing resource.