Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Minnesota-based medical group Mayo Clinic will be at Apple's special media event tomorrow to demonstrate how iOS 8's new Health app can benefit medical professionals, reports the Star Tribune. The paper states that Mayo will show how data from the Health app can flow into a sophisticated management system of a major health center.

healthimprovements.jpg
Apple and Mayo Clinic have reportedly been working together for two years. The medical group's CEO Dr. John H. Noseworthy was quoted as saying that Apple's Health and HealthKit development tools have the potential to "revolutionize how the health industry interacts with people" when both were introduced at WWDC this past June.

Last month, Apple was also said to be in talks with health providers at Mount Sinai, Cleveland Clinic, John Hopkins, and Allscripts to roll out HealthKit to their facilities. According to sources close to the discussions, Apple has been positioning HealthKit and its Health app as an all-in-one solution for medical professionals to store patient data for easier access and to improve diagnostics.

Apple's media event kicks off at 10:00 AM Pacific Time, and MacRumors will have full coverage of the event as it unfolds.

Article Link: Mayo Clinic to Reportedly Help Present iOS 8's Health App at Apple's Media Event

mcdspncr

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2011
1/3 Tech, 1/3 Medical, 1/3 Jewelry - Sure hope you found that sweet-spot Apple!

Last edited:

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I feel like this event could be 5 hours with all the rumored stuff planned. Especially if they go through the smart house thing.

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
lol. i haven't been this excited about an apple event since God knows when.

Remember the first iPhone announcement .. January 2007 I believe. What an amazing thing to watch. It was like Steve jobs stole a smartphone from ten years in the future...

I'm hoping this keynote will be even half as good..

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Jesus Christ... White and sky-blue text on light green background... What the.. are they smoking?

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
This has always made sense to me - there were stories of how Jobs at the end was wanting to redesign the health stuff from when he was in hospital. At the time I thought the monitors and things around, but I guess he was thinking bigger than that. It would seem like a good tribute to him too.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Every time a new iPhone is announced they play demo on stage. Usually is about games, but they showcased games with metal during WWDC so maybe they'll skip that part or make it fast.
Since we have HealthKit and HomeKit this year I expect something about health on stage, and maybe some products about home automation as well.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
This kind of stuff is what sets Apple apart from most other manufacturers.

Apple controls their entire ecosystem and tightly integrates all sorts of services and software... even 3rd-party solutions.

In contrast... the other guys build a phone and puts someone else's operating system on it... and it ends there.

I dunno... do Huawei phones come integrated with the Chinese equivalent of the Mayo Clinic? Do other companies have enough clout to partner with 3rd-party providers?

I hope this doesn't sound fanboyish... but I really admire what Apple is able to do. :D

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle

First, a music act no power user cares about. Now caffeine consumption apps? Massive waste, race to the lowest common denominator. Tell me how the devices will be better. Tell me how they will be more secure. Don't try and snow me with Bono or the Mayo Clinic.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I think all this additional health stuff is great and the only actual innovation from all the leaks we're seeing, it's a good direction to go.

But, and it's an important but - the information always has to remain entirely private unless you choose to share it with your doctor. I just have that concern that a few years down the line insurance companies will start demanding your "iHealth" details before you can get cover... With all the cloud sharing and associated issues lately I think this could be a slippery slope if it's not managed well.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
I cannot wait to learn how the Mayo Clinic is connected with the Health App.

I'm so excited I'm going to eat lots of carrots so I can stay awake all night.

Viva la cafeína

Sean4000

Suspended
Aug 11, 2010
If the Mayo Clinic is involved with Apple, then it's a serious team up.

My brother is currently battling a recurrence of AML and Mayo was called in for diagnosis/treatment support. They are prompt, thorough, and well equipped. Mayo doesn't fool around and are professionals all the way in whatever they do. Hats off to them.

----------

I cannot wait to learn how the Mayo Clinic is connected with the Health App.

I'm so excited I'm going to eat lots of carrots so I can stay awake all night.

Viva la cafeína

I'm having a difficult time sleeping too.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
In spite of some obvious advantages, I'm not convinced that the possibly unrestricted flow of confidential and strictly private health data is all for altruistic motives.

In spite of flowery assurances to the contrary, once this information is uploaded to servers, the patient has no way of knowing, or controlling, who has access to all that data, and worse, for what purposes.

Insurance companies, and who knows who else, will use this info to benefit themselves rather than the patient.
Color me skeptical.

bsforever

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2008
Remember the first iPhone announcement .. January 2007 I believe. What an amazing thing to watch. It was like Steve jobs stole a smartphone from ten years in the future...

I'm hoping this keynote will be even half as good..

I was young and not as big an apple fan then as I am now , so didn't follow the event.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Health app could be useful in providing doctors with more diversified info. Everything depends on what info the new IPhone is capable of providing

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
As an athlete that tracks everything from my training, sleep, diet, hydration among others I'm excited about the possibilities here - especially with a tie in to an apple and or third party sports watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.