Mayor of New Orleans is angry ... (inc Interview with NOLA mayor Ray Nagin)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 3rdpath, Sep 2, 2005.

1. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    Mayor of New Orleans is angry ... (inc Interview with NOLA mayor Ray Nagin)

the man does not mince words.

link

2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I heard this on Air America this morning. I glad someone is speaking truth to power. Remember this is conservative mayor who just switched to the Democratic Party shortly before his election. This is not a radical man with an agenda to get Bush. Everyone should listen what he has to say.

3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This is very hard to take, but everyone needs to hear it.

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

After his run as mayor is over, he should head FEMA. This guy knows the importance of quick disaster relief. Those doofuses at FEMA sitting in their comfy chairs need to be replaced.

6. jwp1964 macrumors regular

Complete Lack of Leadership...from the Mayor of New Orleans

The guy has completely abdicated his own responsibility and has shown he is no leader. As I understand it he abandoned his city and its citizens and is criticizing evryone form a comfortable place miles from New Orleans.

Democrats who are taking the worst disaster in our country and turning it into a political weapon against Bush make me sick...how about at least an attempt to unite the country? How about getting on with fixing things now and laying blame later...buck up and show some positive leadership.

Get back to the city that needs you and quit whining Mr. Mayor!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

8. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I did not hear the words but I did read the transcript. I was getting choked up reading his plea for help.

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i can't understand how the probably richest and certainly most powerful nation is unable to provide transportation, food and shelter. they had a few days to prepare for this.

what if they where invaded? in a matter of hour's 50 000 troops would be down there.
    why can they organize an open air concert for 50 000 people in a week but not provide water and food?
    they already organized the release of strategic oil reserves around the world with the UN to keep the gas prices down. but no water for the victims.

i don't understand how that could get so bad so quickly.

i just hope they get it fixed so that no more people have to suffer or die.

10. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

There someone goes again, naming anyone who talks badly about the president as a "Democrat" god forbid a Republican doesnt like how the leader is doing, or an independent. Please, dont go on a rant about conservatives vs liberals, thats a bullshiite agrument and in this case, Bush has done nothing right and we as American citizens can criticise him.

I am no democrat.

11. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Wow, what an interview - crying reporters in the end... :(

Seen from half way round the globe it seems unbelievable that the situation only seem to get more and more out of hand. There's obviously a limit what one mayor, one city, can do, especially when that city is completely under water... It's obvious that this is a crisis that needs to be handled on a national, even global, level. And it's incredible that so little has been done to organize that so far. By a government that is willing and capable to spend enormous resources waging war in far, far away countries... it appears to be paralyzed, when it comes to handling this catastophy at home...

A

12. jwp1964 macrumors regular

You might not be a democrat, but like the Mayor, apparently can't have a conversation without resorting to vulgar language. At least my "rant" can be read by children and makes an appeal to come together.

Bush did not cause the storm and Bush can't fix it by himself. Get over the fact that you don't like the guy and try to do something to help and save the Monday morning quaterbacking until the situation is fixed.

13. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Ask yourself this crucial question. Why is he whining?

14. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Yep tell me to shut up or put out, thats a good answer to a dodged question.

bush - "Um, Im not a bad leader, I donated to the Red Cross, what did you do?"

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it's difficult to listen to.

i went straight from that to seeing bush on tv for a few minutes. typically, he wasn't answering questions (when asked how he planned on sheltering so many people, his long-winded non-answer could be summed up as, "we're going to shelter people"), but i've never seen him so uncomfortable, so shifty-on-his-feet, and so unsure of what his mood should be.

and he actually said, "i'm satisfied with the response but not satisfied with the results."

huh???

16. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Yeah, I saw Bush on a news conference today. He looked really uncomfortable and desperate. Like someone trying to climb a slippery rope.

17. railthinner macrumors regular

Wow. So this Mayor after seeing his city destroyed -- people dying and suffering gets angry at the lack of federal leadership and you can't understand that? But you can get angry at his getting angry? I don't get it.

18. jwp1964 macrumors regular

I surrender...

I have seen the light...Bush is bad...republicans are evil...none of us have done enough...the Mayor of New Orleans is a tremendous leader and has been very helpful to the situation....if a democrat was in charge the hurricane would have never happened and all evil would have been expunged from the face of the earth and we would all be living in peace....my bad.

19. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

The words might be fit for children to read, but in this context they seem extremely unsuitable... If you just wanna talk about bush and whining democrats please do it in the political forum.

A

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Once again the Bungler-in-Chief is exposed for what he is.

21. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Did you even bother to read the transcript or listen to the interview? The mayor wasn't bashing Bush. There's really no point discussing this further with you if you are here just to troll.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Which is very difficult to do when you're that greasy.

I'm sorry if this characterization offends anyone, but especially after hearing the interview with the mayor I find myself being more deeply disturbed by the gross incompetence of this administration than ever before.

23. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Everyone in the south heard it live, including myself. Every radio station plays the same thing.

This is only one incident of many like it. Yesterday, the parish president of the parish next to N.O. declared he would separate his parish from the union and become his own country, Jeffertania. This way he would be able to get aid from the US.

24. jwp1964 macrumors regular

Why is everyone missing the fact that this is the largest, most complicated disaster relief attempt in the history of our country?

Things are not going to get fixed overnight. Every person involved is doing his/her best to deal with this...it is not going perfect (as usual). The scenes are heartwrenching...lets leave the blame game for the after action reports and investigations and get on with helping now!

I guess that my original "rant" degenerated from what I meant to be my main point...the Mayor can't just deny all responsibility and lay it off on the feds...where was he during the planning...why didn't he try to do something to get everyone out of his city?

It is ridiculous to lay this at the feet of the feds and deny any blame himself!

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

still listening to the interview, am fairly shocked to hear the mayor, when asked his thoughts on the feds coming in only after being asked by the "proper people," said, "did the iraqi people request that we go in there? did they ask us to go in there?"

then, "i'm probably gonna get in a whole bunch of trouble".