Mayor says Democrats responsible for convention overruns

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by wdlove, Jun 17, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

We need your donations, please.

Mayor Thomas M. Menino said yesterday he will make sure that city taxpayers don't have to cover cost overruns at the Democratic National Convention, saying that he believes decisions made by the national Democratic Party are responsible for the fact that construction and production costs have ballooned.

Menino said the convention show is being designed by the Democratic National Committee and Senator John F. Kerry's campaign, not the local host committee the mayor leads. Since their decisions for more expensive staging and production are adding to the convention's budget, he said an estimated $5 million in additional costs should be paid with funds raised by Kerry and the DNC.

"It's their obligation," Menino told reporters at a City Hall news conference. "It's an issue for the Democratic National Committee. It's on their dime, not the city's dime, and they have to deal with those issues of the overruns in the convention costs . . . It's not the City of Boston, that's for sure."

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/conventions/articles/2004/

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Does Bush foot the bill when he flies into various cities, or do the cities pick up the expense of extra cops, security sweeps, etc.? Just something to ponder while y'all are fuming over Kerry's cost overruns.

Not saying I like it either, but don't throw these stones at Kerry alone...

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

To be honest the mayor is talking about "production" costs, not security. Maybe the mayor in his eagerness to get the convention never thought about such a thing as a contract.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Whatever you want to call it... And AFAIK Bush's character has been tested time and again on this matter and he has dropped the ball. He goes all over the country (not to mention the world... well on those rare occasions when he leaves the USA :D ) and expects cities already strapped with unfunded Homeland Security duties every time the warning changes color to foot the bill for the event. So sure, Kerry's character may be tested, but just remember, Bush failed that test long ago.

Bush showed character when Clinton was at the WH? To me it looked like he could hardly stand to be in the same room with such 'pure evil' as Billary.

I'm suprised you let 'your man Bush' get away with the same things you want to calmly criticize Kerry for. :eek:

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm surprised you're surprised...

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"He goes all over the country (not to mention the world... well on those rare occasions when he leaves the USA ) and expects cities already strapped with unfunded Homeland Security duties every time the warning changes color to foot the bill for the event."

mac, I'm sure you don't really mean this as a focus on Bush, do you? Or, with Pres. Kerry, do you expect him to never leave the White House in order that already-strapped cities can save money? Kerry would never campaign in 2006 or 2008 outside of White House TV cameras? No ribbon cuttings?

:D, 'Rat

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm not sure what this has to do w/ kerry. the convention is the work of the DNC; the candidates of either party don't have much, if any, control over their respective ?NCs.

(a little unix pattern matching for ya! :)

9. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

haha! :D

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Aren't we jumping the gun here? Has this even been decided?