Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
im sorry, but thats waaay too much.

sure, steve mentioned its pricey on stage, but im not sure why they even offered it with that price level.

Who is going to pay that for a low spec laptop?

i do like the ideas and the multi touch tracking is awesome, but its not exactly the prettiest lappy apple have made..

each to their own i guess...

personally, my 2Grand will be going on a Macbook Pro

Solid State drives ARE expensive upgrades; same as on the Sony Vaio laptops.

I can't access the UK Apple Store - keep getting an Internal Server Error. Can you tell me how much it was for the standard config model?

Cheers :)

UPDATE: It's alright, I found out it's £1200. That's expensive when compared directly to the US exchange rate but not that bad really when compared to UK prices for the Blackbook for example.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
I dont understand the difference between the base and the expensive one.

All I know is, it is $1899 canadian for the base, and $3050 for the solid state one.
I mean, I can get a 17" MBP for that amount, or a 15" for the price of the base MBA!

I dont understand the difference between the base and the expensive one.

All I know is, it is $1899 canadian for the base, and $3050 for the solid state one.
I mean, I can get a 17" MBP for that amount, or a 15" for the price of the base MBA!

Yeah, good point mate. Why would anyone buy the MacBook Air when for more or less the same price you can buy the 15" MBP which is more powerful and has a larger physical and resolution screen, much better graphics, more ports and has (shock horror) stereo speakers rather than the MONO speaker on the MBA?

I'm curious to know exactly how much faster the solid state drive is for the money. Considering that applications already load up extremely quickly on a MBP where exactly would you see the benefit?

What is a solid state hard drive??

A solid state drive (SSD) is a hard drive with no moving parts so it's a lot quicker than your traditional type and uses less power. They're similar to memory cards except that memory cards have a limited number of times they can be written to.

That's why SSD's are so expensive compared to normal memory cards cos they have a longer life and are suited to typical computer use where they're being accessed and written to often.

connectingrodd

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
im sorry, but thats waaay too much.

sure, steve mentioned its pricey on stage, but im not sure why they even offered it with that price level.

Who is going to pay that for a low spec laptop?

i do like the ideas and the multi touch tracking is awesome, but its not exactly the prettiest lappy apple have made..

each to their own i guess...

personally, my 2Grand will be going on a Macbook Pro

Yes apple isn't very good at figuring out exchange rates, they charge for more to us here in canada too... even though our dollar is on par with the american dollar.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Yes apple isn't very good at figuring out exchange rates, they charge for more to us here in canada too... even though our dollar is on par with the american dollar.

Oh, they know the exchange rates; they just don't care. Most PC manufacturers and retailers adjusted prices to reflect the equivalent Canadian dollar; Apple gave customers the finger instead. That's their pricing plan in a nutshell. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.