MB Air - No Security Slot??

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Toe, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Toe
    macrumors 65816

Toe

Anyone at MWSF reading this? Can you go to the exhibit hall and look at the MBA and tell us if there is a Kensington Security Slot?

I do not see any mention of it on the MacBook Air tech specs page:
    http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

For comparison, look at the regular MacBook:
    http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html
    "Security — Kensington cable lock slot"

It is a little difficult for me to imagine an expensive, ultra-portable, sexy, easy-to-steal computer that has no security slot.

I know Apple was trying to economize on space, but what if you're at a coffee shop and want to go to the bathroom? You gotta take your MBA with you everywhere??

2. macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Clearly, Apple think that people who can afford a MacBook Air will be wealthy enough to just go out and buy a new one if it gets stolen. :)

SL

3. macrumors 6502

I don't mean to be argumentative, but would you really leave your computer unattended in a coffee shop, lock or no lock, while you went to the toilet?

I certainly wouldn't...

Steve.

4. macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Still, I think that's a pretty poor mistake.
    I'd definately not leave one at my desk without a lock, let alone in public places as it's intended.

5. macrumors 65816

telecomm

I think you're just meant to hide it in a manila envelope.

6. Toe
    thread starter macrumors 65816

Toe

I have been wondering about that, and I am not sure. I think it would depend on the environment in the shop at that moment. If I just gotta take a leak and there are some friendly people around, I think I might lock my MB to a table and/or a couple of chairs. It would be tremendously difficult for someone to get it in the time I'd be gone. Basically, they would have to smash the chair, or go at the cable with a big-handled cutter. I think someone would notice.

I do have my current MacBook FileVaulted and screen-saver locked, so if it gets stolen, at least my data/identity is safe. But of course I'd like for it to not get stolen.

In any event, I certainly have had cause to lock my MB. Such as when I've needed to leave it behind in a hotel room. I imagine I could try to hide the MBA, but... I'd feel better if it was tied down to something while I'm out snorkeling. :)

7. macrumors 6502a

Does anyone even use the security slots on the side of the MB/MBP ?

I know i never have......

8. macrumors regular

Looking at the pictures on the apple site there might be one half way down the left side.

[​IMG]

9. macrumors 68000

RichP

That is the angled magsafe power socket.

10. macrumors regular

I mean the little one nearer the bottom of the keyboard. It could just be a screw, but theres definately something there.

11. Toe
    thread starter macrumors 65816

Toe

Drat... got my hopes up. But it looks like that's a screw. Found this on:
    http://www.apple.com/macbookair/features.html

[​IMG]

12. macrumors 6502a

I do. Always chain my MacBook to something when I have to leave it unattended. You never know who might be eyeing it.

13. macrumors 6502

Justinerator

this made me laugh. nice :D

14. macrumors 68020

phungy

Made me laugh as well, kudos.

15. macrumors 601

andiwm2003

the screen bezel is pretty wide. just drill a hole through it and use a cable lock.

16. macrumors 68000

kuebby

I bought a lock at Best Buy when they were really cheap but I've never actually used it. I just find I never leave my MacBook Pro anywhere unattended outside of my apartment.

17. macrumors 65816

amac4me

I actually called and spoke to an Apple Store rep today and he confirmed that there is no security slot. He said I was the first person he spoke to that asked that question.

I would love to have a MacBook Air but the lack of a security slot is a deal breaker for me. I take my current laptop to the office and school and have to leave it unattended at times. I do it knowing that it is locked down.

Maybe they will have it in the next model ... that's the hope but I'll probably have a newer MBP by that time because I'll be tired of waiting :rolleyes:

18. macrumors 6502a

I work in an academic institution, in a shared office. There are times where I'm out of the office but students can still get in. I feel better if my MacBook is locked.

19. macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

MacBook Air Revision

Maybe the 180 day update will include an 'ipod shuffle like clip' that you affix the mba to your shirt while you visit the rest room or go out for a lunchtime run????
    It just about seems light enough, or do we have to wait for the MacBook Helium.

Seriously though. I hope a security slot is installed quickly by Apple. Otherwise it's sadly a non starter as a replacement for my ageing work PC [Compaq NC6120].

20. macrumors member

It's so thin and light, you can just take it with you. Tuck it in your pants or something.

21. jnc
    macrumors 68020

jnc

Ok this is the first time I've even heard anyone say that they even require the slot, we must have grown up in very different places. Far as I knew that slot was just for stores that'd have machines on display, or similar. (which makes me think - how WILL these be displayed if there's no slot? Behind glass?)

Something as valuable as a Mac would never leave my sight in a public place, anyway...

22. macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

I've had a notebook stolen. It was in a restricted area but accessible by the public.

I always tether my notebooks now outside of home [or at least take a cable with me in case I feel the need to].

23. jnc
    macrumors 68020

jnc

The one public place I've ever left my MacBook unattended was on a train when I went to the WC. Between stops of course ;) usually it would always be in sight / on my person so owning a cable has never even crossed my mind.

Besides in any environment with other people (even around friends) I'd be more worried about some clumsy idiot spilling / dropping something on it... let alone having it nicked, to have it out of my sight!

24. macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Nope never have. When I'm in class if I have to leave I just close it, put it into sleep mode and take it with me :)

25. macrumors member

ah, see, you don't even live in the target market's world: they are insulated from such riff raff at all times.