MB Air vs MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by fjs08, Nov 26, 2011.

1. macrumors 65816

Jun 25, 2003
    All set to get a Mac Book Pro when the Air updated.
    I have very basic uses but I do like to hook it up to a "larger" monitor... now and then. Am I in any way limited with either the MBA or MBP in linking it to an external monitor of my choice... or am I limited to Apple monitors.

Currently using a 5 yr old MBP linked to an older Apple Cinema Monitor (ACM)which really looks great. I DO have this... by todays standard HUGE adapter box from my MBP to my ACM.

I use my iPad a lot too, but certain things are still much easier w a notebook

What choices do I have here relative to computers and monitors??

2. macrumors 68040

Jul 18, 2011
    Any monitor should do fine. Only real difference is that the MBP can be upgraded to 8gb ram and has a disc drive, while the MBA has SSD (moot if you decide to further upgrade the MBP though) and is undeniably easier to carry around.
  3. macrumors 68020

May 28, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Both the MBA and MBP can work with all non-Apple external monitors. You just need to buy an adapter (mini DisplayPort to VGA/DVI/HDMI) which are around 35$.

The MBP will let you output to two external displays if at least one of them is the Apple Thunderbolt display. The MBA won't.