MB and PMG5 not talking?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacBoobsPro, Oct 10, 2006.

1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Ok Im back with this one and really pissed off now! :mad:

I had an iBook and a G5 both accessed the net via Airport and both would 'talk' to each other effortlessly - no set up required. I sold the iBook and bought a MacBook. Well this is when my problems started.

Both macs can access the net via Airport no problems. The problem is the MacBook seems to see the G5 fine (most of the time) but the G5 cannot see the MB. Only when I piss about with the settings does the G5 see the MB but then the MB cant see the G5 and it was a **** to access it anyway.

Originally with the iBook and G5 set up all I did to access one or the other was open a new finder window and click the network icon. Then the mac I wanted to connect to would appear in the window and I could connect. This happens fine on the MB but not on the G5, although it used to.

I hope you are still following me here. :)

Something I have noticed that there is an 'eject' icon next to the network icon on the MB but not on the G5 (although it used to have one). Why would this change and how can I get the icon back?

I can connect fine using 'Go to Server' but its a pain in the ass and I want to be able to do it described above. Someone please help. I have posted this problem before many times not just on MR and at the time the problem seems to be sorted and then it goes tits up again. This time I want a definitive resolution and I will kill anyone to get it. :D

Please help.

2. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

Personal File Sharing and Apple talk are turned on, on the MB?

They probably are and I dont mean to offend you but hey you never know.

3. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Yep. Its totally confusing the hell out of me. Ive even called Apple support and they cant figure it out. Although by the time I eventually got through it was time for them to leave work (7.45pm UK). So at about 8pm the phone went 'mysteriously' dead. I had to give em my card details to charge me for the advice as I dont have AppleCare. However I still havent sorted the problem so if I get charged for them putting the phone down on me they will know about it! :D

Please keep posting ideas people. I am determined to sort this out!

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I had this problem on a few machines I maintain but never got to the bottom of it. I ended up saving the Connect To Server links as favourites using their names, not their IP address. COMMAND-K and double clicking on the appropriate address/name has ended up working quite well for us, but it's not perfect. FWIW, I notice that if a computer is under heavy load, it is harder to find in the Server list. Similarly, a computer that has just been turned on takes a while to show up there too. :eek:

5. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Thanks MJ. I can connect fine with 'Connect to server' but its a pain the ass. I made alias' of the machines once i had connected them but then, after a restart, the alias' are broken.

Neither computer is ever really under any strain especially the MB that is only used for surfing and mail. And when im connecting to the MB its usually doing nothing at all as it is next to my G5 waiting to be connected to.

When I was on the phone to the guy at Apple he told me to turn off the firewalls on both machines. As soon as i did the MB appeared on the G5. However I think it was just coincidence because when I restarted and turned off the firewalls again (to see if it happens again) the MB didnt appear.

The reason why this is REALLY bugging me is because with the iBook i had all the settings were exactly the same and worked fine. Infact I use the iBook at work and if i bring it home it pops up straight away on the G5.

My next plan when i get home is to start up both machines and just leave them for a while to see if the MB appears on the G5 by itself, as you say it can take a while. Which really is not helpful as I usually want to 'quickly' connect and transfer stuff.

I realise I can just connect to the G5 from the MB and transfer the files that way. But I want it to work how it should and how i want it too. Hell Ive paid for it to do what it should and I absolutely hate it when stuff doesnt work. :mad:

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That does suck. The aliases you made, were they using the name of the other Mac or the IP address? If you use the name, they shouldn't break.

Also, I find that as I'm waiting for a server to appear in finding, clicking around in the open Finder window can sometimes help refresh Finder's view and therefore hopefully prompt the right icons/connection. This might just be a placebo effect, but I feel it helps. :)

7. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

They were names not IPs.

I think its a placebo :D

8. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I have the same problem but with Mac and PC. The Mac can connect to, and see all the Windows shared drives without a problem, but can Windows see the Mac? Nooooo. Most likely windows sulking tho, not an OS X problem.

But yeah, they do take a while to pop up in Finder, can be annoying at times. :(