MB and wireless internet in China

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ekenny, Jul 30, 2006.

1. ekenny macrumors regular

ekenny

Hi,

I've convinced my father to purchase a MacBook for himself. He will be on a month long trip to China where he will need to get on the Internet maybe once a day or so. Does anyone familiar with China know of any available options for him? I know here in the US you can get a PCMCIA card for your laptop to connect to your cell phone service for like $50/month (but the MacBook does not have one of those slots). Do they have free wifi hotspots like they do here?

Thanks for any info

2. n8236 macrumors 65816

It really depends which part of China he's traveling to. If it's large cities like Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong, etc....he shouldn't have problems finding LAN shops. Most hotels in those areas offer it as an extra service for a small fee, which would be safer than traveling around for a LAN shop. I'm guessing places like Starbucks will have access.

If he's going to the boonies, I suggest he carry he carry an ethernet cable with him. But bring it regardless. And tell him to have his bags and belongings with him 24/7.

When I stayed at my cousin's place in Canton, China (Southeast) they all had dsl (slow ones) installed in their homes.

3. ekenny thread starter macrumors regular

ekenny

Cool thanks for the info. He's been there plenty of times but this is the first time bringing a computer. I've told him before about keeping the laptopp on his body, but he says he's definitely not going to lug it around everywhere, so I dunno.

4. n8236 macrumors 65816

As long as he's not staying over at some boony hotels, it should be safe in there. Otherwise place it at a trusty friend's place.

There are a lot of theives on the streets, so put it in a safe place.