Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taylor22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2016
I am considering the 2016 MB and want to know how well it will handle Steam games like construction simulator and the like. Nothing hardcore just things to kill time on flights, etc.
it's primary use will be for lighting design word processing and web browsing.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I've been playing Cities: Skylines lately and the MacBook handles it fine at 1280x800 at low-medium settings.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I'm really keen on getting this MacBook for university and I would really like to play Civ 5 via bootcamp so I can go round to my friends and not have to take my main rig with me. I'm not looking for ultra graphics and perfect 60fps, but does anyone have any idea how it should handle it? I've only seen one video on YouTube and it seemed OK.
Also my main question I've been asking myself is, should I get the m5? Would it be much of an improvement for Civ?

Reactions: fluamsler

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
For Civ5 you'll need as much CPU as you can get, so the m7 would be an even better choice. I don't think it would be an enjoyable experience late game though.

Reactions: bhayes444

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015
I'm really keen on getting this MacBook for university and I would really like to play Civ 5 via bootcamp so I can go round to my friends and not have to take my main rig with me. I'm not looking for ultra graphics and perfect 60fps, but does anyone have any idea how it should handle it? I've only seen one video on YouTube and it seemed OK.
Also my main question I've been asking myself is, should I get the m5? Would it be much of an improvement for Civ?
I wouldn't recommend a Mac for gaming. But if you are really keen on that I'd suggest you get at least the MacBook Pro 13.

If your not in a hurry, you should wait till September as there are rumors of new MacBook pros.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
For Civ5 you'll need as much CPU as you can get, so the m7 would be an even better choice. I don't think it would be an enjoyable experience late game though.

I would be playing it over LAN at a friend's place so I imagine it would be his system doing most of the heavy lifting in terms of AI.

I wouldn't recommend a Mac for gaming. But if you are really keen on that I'd suggest you get at least the MacBook Pro 13.

If your not in a hurry, you should wait till September as there are rumors of new MacBook pros.

Yeh I'm looking forward to seeing the new Pro's but I'm not after one, I want something really light and portable and the rMB seems perfect. I have a system with a 6700k+GTX1080 for real gaming, Civ is just the one thing I'd like to be able to play at a friends without dragging my whole rig.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I would be playing it over LAN at a friend's place so I imagine it would be his system doing most of the heavy lifting in terms of AI.

Interesting. That could likely work out I guess.

In any case, I would still go for the fastest machine, since the game is 3D heavy.

Starshadow

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012

I have the m5 2016 and I play Civ 5 alot on it. EDIT: I play using the Mac version - I would assume the windows version on bootcamp would perform even better but I don't go into Windows unless I really have to...

It is certainly slower for starting up a huge game, maybe 40 seconds where as my Macbook Pro 13" 2014 takes about 20 seconds.

I get 50-60 FPS with a decent resolution and everything on low. I have played on it for hours without it slowing down (apart from getting maybe 1000+ turns in where it takes maybe 30-60 seconds for a turn to complete) but my Macbook with an i5 slows down too.

I have played a lot of games and developed applications on it without any issue. Games like Starbound, Project Zombiod, Minecraft (Pretty much the only games I would play mobile anyway) run at native resolution with 40-60 FPS. Emulators work perfectly with no slow down (PSOne, N64, PSP,DS,SNES)

I don't normaly like to game while using a laptop as the fans kick in and people think I am cooking a roast dinner or something so the Macbook is perfect for me - at this moment I am writing a research proposal on one desktop and have Civ 5 open fullscreen on the other desktop waiting for me to decide if I am going to go ahead with my invasion of Russia or if I should make the Brazilians pay for denouncing me... :)

Last edited:

Taylor22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2016
Soo back to my question....anyone have experience with simulator type steam games?

funtoosh

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2010
Soo back to my question....anyone have experience with simulator type steam games?

I've not tried any games on my new MB, but in my last 17" MBP with i7 i really did not liked steam games on it, even games like TF2 does not runs as smooth as on a Windows System.

I personally think MB is not for gaming, i just my PS3/4 for gaming and use MB strictly for work. I've not tried any games recently on MB so not sure about current situation or updates.

archi_130w1

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2016
Well, your thread is a week old and people gave you experiences they had with games that are slightly in line and some being more demanding than CS 2015. Looking at the requirements, though, it may mean that you will experience some throttling with extended play. Depending on which posts you refer to, some say not by much. Looking at the requirements and then a few steam forums posts and youtube videos... I would venture to suggest at least the m5 if not the m7 (though some would say the m7 throttles quicker). Have you considered bootcamp? That is always a booster.

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
BTW, if you guys are seriously considering gaming on the MacBook I would strongly advise you to get a cooling pad because MacBook tend to thermal throat under continuous heavy workload.

Reactions: archi_130w1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.